Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1969 Gibson EB-1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hawtin47, Oct 15, 2003.

1. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    I've been offered a 1969 Gibson EB-1 in excellent shape for $900.00...don't know a thing about them. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks -

Marc

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $900 is a decent price, though not a bargain.

I's just like an EB-0 bass but with a violin shaped body. To hear one in action, listen to Felix Pappalardi with Mountain. Thick with a rounded off attack.

Make sure it has the original pickup not a DiMarzio replacement (a common mod on these). As any other vintage bass, check ALL the parts to see what's been replaced. They did come with bridge covers though (like Fenders) few basses still have them.

3. This bass is worth the $900, if you don't want it let me know.......I do!

Collectors piece, you might not want it as an everyday player!

[​IMG]

and the head stock.
    [​IMG]

MAJOR METAL, did you see this!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Well, it must not be an EB-1 then...

It does not have the violin shape - looks like an SG guitar.

Has some funky dampener on the bridge that I guess was popular back then, and a pick guard with a curved place to hook your pinky (I guess), at first I thought it was for someone to play left-handed with the strings backwards.

I'll let the owner know what he has. Thanks for the info.

Marc

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
  6. Mark, you're talking about an EB 3.

Hey does he owner want to sell the EB1, I'm interested .....seriously!

This is an EB-3 from 1967.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    [​IMG]

This isn't a photo of the actual bass, but I just found this picture online and it's definitely it. He wants $900 firm, and everything is stock.

Marc

8. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Evidently, I'm doin' the photo thing wrong.

9. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    He is not too far out of line if it really is a 69 EB0. I would check it out thoroughly for any cracks around the headstock, neck and on the back of the bass around the control cover. Check out the serial # on the back top of the headstock. Nothing else sounds like an EB0, but they are an acquired taste. My original 68 case has orange lining.

10. Marc, upload it as an attachment or copy the URL into the image code!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
  12. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Here I am, a Network Administrator, and I screw this up. Shows you how much I know...:oops:

13. This one.....EB-0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. These are still worth $900 if in good shape!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Yeah, it looks just like that second one, but the pickup is chrome like the one in my attachment.

My friend also took in a tube Bassman 100 head/cab combo in great shape that he's selling for $800. I'd love to buy it, but my wife would make me cut the back off the cab and live in it:bag:

16. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    And, like I said, it has that pull-out dampener.

17. My husband and I met playing music. I was 17 when we married. We've been together for 24 years and I am so happy to be married to a man that understands my need for bass!

Marc, I wish you all the best!

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. hawtin47

hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Thanks Treena -

My wife (of 5 years now!) is very supportive of me, but I've had a habit of being hot to trot on something out of the chute, but not staying in it for the long haul. I believe music will be different, and am really looking forward to diving into the bass.

P.S. - must have been fun playing with Joan Baez...saw her in Portland years ago with my Mom. Great concert. What bass were you playing in that gig?

Marc

19. I use my Fender P bass special.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    $900 for an all-original 1969 EB-0 in excellent shape is no bargain but it's a reasonable price if there are no breaks and it has the OHSC and the bridge cover and metal handrest (if it came with one).

But -- and please understand, this is not a criticism -- if you didn't even know that this was not an EB-1, how do you know it's really a 1969? If the seller is using serial numbers to date it, you should be aware that Gibson serial numbers from the mid-60s to the mid-70s are notoriously unreliable indicators.

Does this bass have a solid or slotted headstock? Does it have Made in USA stamped on the back of the headstock? Does it have a metal bar bridge, or separate adjustable saddles? If it has separate saddles, are they metal or nylon? If they are metal, is the bridge mounted on 2 posts or 3 posts? Is the pickup right at the end of the neck or several inches toward the bridge?

Maybe it is a 1969, but if it's not, it could be worth more or less than $900.