Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1969 Gibson EBO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Sep 10, 2000.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    How much do these go for?
    because i'm thinking of buying someone's closet guitar
    it's like less than 300...should i get it?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Of course....it depends on the condition of the bass....but less than $300 is a very good price for a '69 EBO. I've seen them sell for much higher....again...depending on the condition.

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    how is the tone on it? i think the bridge needs some work. if this doesn't work out is it worth getting the epiphone remake, EB-3?

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The Epiphone EBO...or EB3?

The EBO is quite good and you should be able to find it at a decently low price. I haven't had a chance to check out the EB3 as yet.

5. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yeah it's the epiphone EB3 cuz i'm thinking about tone options...the EBO only has one humbucker near the neck and the EB3 has a minihumbucker in the bridge positiong. and it has selector switch...but do you think the epiphone remakes could actually get a god sound?
    thanks a lot by the way

6. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    good sound i mean hahah god sound

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    yeah...if you want tone options...the EB3 is the way to go. It is also a 34" scale compared to 30" for the EBO.
    So will the Epi EB3 sounds as good as an old Gibson? No, but for the difference in price....I would hate to compare them in a blindfolded test....:)
    If you like this style of bass....I would say that the Epi EB3 would be an excellent bass.
    Are you dead-set on this style...or just considering it right now?

8. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yeah i really like the body shape but i was also looking at this one in a store near me it is a grassroots one. White SG style body with a musicman style pickup...which i can change to a better one it goes for about 400

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    That sounds pretty cool and a good price for it. Also, you might find that you DO like the pickups after playing it a bit.
    I almost bought one of these in black....and still might somewhere down the line...:)

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You saw a WHITE one? I thought the EB3 only came in black, or cherry. Sounds like you have a nice find there...:)

11. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    Ok lemme explain that

the brand is GRASSROOTS. have you guys ever heard of that? ain't it a division of ESP..i dunno you find weird stuff in Hong Kong. haha

yeah, it is an SG style body...i think the wood is mahogony...well it SHOULD BE!
    the pickup is in the harmonic position, just like where the musicman puts it. and the pickup is exactly like the stingrays. you'know the beaver tooth pickup haha. yeah and there is a volume and two tone controls

the guy that's selling the EBO is not answering his phone and it is PISSING me of off!!! if this doesnt work out...do you think i should get the WHITE SG grassroots thing or the EPIPHONE EB3?

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Are you in Hong Kong???....cool :)

Okay...I have never heard of the Grassroots brand, but if you can get an Epiphone EB3 for close to the same cost, I would definitely go with it. I think that the quality will be better and it has a lifetime warranty. (for what it's worth :))
    Anyway.....feel free to email about this and I will see what I can find out about the Grassroots brand.

13. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Go get a copy of Cream's "Wheels of Fire and listen to the live stuff. That's an EB-0 through a couple of Marshalls. If you like that sound ( I love it personally :)) buy the EB-0. My biggest problem with the SG type of bass (My Guild JS2 included) is that they are VERY top heavy and the 34" scale just makes it worse. You need a wide sticky strap for these babies but you're not gonna get that tone anywhere else. The Epi's aren't even in the same league. Now if you can find one of the early LP Jr style EB-0's you'll have the tone and a bass that doesn't try to break the headstock off every time you play it but those puppies aren't cheap. How does that Grassroots thing play and sound? It could be fun but it won't be an EB-0 .. Al badart.tv

14. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    it was a pretty modern tone. there was a lotta range to it cuz it had a musicman pickup config. it's just the look then. i would not have the tone probably. well i'm gonna try to downlad that song to see if i like the tone
    i have these cream songs : deserted cities of the hear, white room, politician, tales of the brave ulysses, sunshing of your love, and steppnin out
    do you think it's on there?
    didn't jack bruce have a longhorn bass as well?

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sorry....Jack DID play an EB3. The famous one with the special tone circuit. :)
    And he did sometimes use a Danelectro Longhorn AND a Fender Bass VI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There ya go...:)

16. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i really like the tone i just listened to my cream album again...havn'et done that in a while
    yeah it;s kinda like thick farts...i'm kidding..but you know that thick somewhat fuzzy and gritty tone that sounds really classic. it's cool i want one. i prolly wont wanna get the white one cuz it's just like a musicman's tone and those are still in production plus they're hella expensive.
    i need something to contrast the jangly tone of my Danelectro Longhorn.
    thanks a lot for your help guys, hopefully the guy selling the bass will answer my phone calls! if not i'll save up for one and buy it for like 800.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    RETSAMPALS : GrassRoots is a branch of ESP, so is Seymour Duncan and Edwards :D My favorite bassist(Tetsu of L'Arc~en~Ciel) had a ESP VIPER PROTOTYPE made for him.. it looks like a the SG series bass, with a 34" scale, blue color, humbucker and single coil i think and more. it looks soo cool :D Yeah and I think they make a 'ESP version', 'GrassRoots version' and a 'Edwards Version'.... i think ESP is the most expensive(best one), GrassRoots(2nd) and Edwards..

I seen tetsu use a Seymour Duncan bass.. looks like a Fender Jazz :D!

DM

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Very cool website! Thanks Dude....:)

20. Al Steen