1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1969 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duffalluff, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Hello everyone,
    I found a 1969 American Standard Jazz Bass for sale locally, it played wonderfully and felt great but, it has been played for most of those years and the finish is worn(really worn) and has a few dings here and there, I think he asked 2600 for it.
    Does anyone know a little history on that year?
    Is it a good price?
    Will refinishing depreciate the value?

2. The 1969 Jazz Bass was good enough for Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad. I'd love to have one someday. :)

As far as value, I think you need to be a Supporting Member to post that kind of inquiry.

3. Sorry, still really new here, I'll have to update my membership, eh?
    Thank you for your input sir.

4. Do not refin. Learn to love its imperfections.

Davo

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A refin will definitely depreciate the value.

I cannot provide a price quote unless you are a supporting member but do some market research on ebay and talkbass classifieds.

The price is alright, seen better and worse, but the bass itself really determines the value.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    no pics,... no bass,.. doh!:D

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm no expert, but you should buy it.

8. Thank you all for your opinions, I'll try to get a pic from him and post it.

9. I think it's alright to talk value if you're a prospective buyer, as opposed to seller, in which case the thread becomes in effect, an ad. I'll chance it by saying that's a pretty good price for a 69, and agree that a refin would be a bad move.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Had a '67 Jazz in '69. The neck was a seriously unstable thing, at the time. If this one has plenty of truss adjustment left, I'd give it a serious look, although I think it is probably from the poly era—which for me is pretty much a deal killer for a CBS instrument. All IMHO.

Post pics???