Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1969 Saturn hollow body bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hangashore, Feb 23, 2003.

1. hangashore

hangashore

Feb 23, 2003
    Hey! After 30 years, I've started playing electric bass again...my wife says it's my "mid-life crisis", but I disagree.... no crisis feels this good. I recently reacquired my first guitar, a 1969 Saturn hollow body electric. It was a cheapie, but all I could afford back then. I got it through mail order (Sears or Eatons...can't remember). That was back in high school. I banged around with a band of friends & cousins for a few years, but gave it up & eventually sold my guitar. I've been bangin' on acoustics ever since, but never played a gig.
    New Year's Eve I was asked to play an upcoming fundraiser & ended up playing with 3 different groups that night!...quite a challenge after 30 years.
    Anyone familiar with the Saturn line of guitars & basses? I suspect the "Saturn" label was manufactured by another company, and marketed through mail order companies. I come up empty with web searches, except for one image labelled "Kingston", which shows a hollow body electric similar to my Saturn.
    Appreciate any info or comments.

2. It´s probably German brand HOPF. They had a line of hollowbody guitars in the sixties named "saturn".
    You can find a pic of one somewhere in these pages (click "verkaufte")

http://www.musikkeller.com/fs/homep.htm

I once owned a Saturn 63 guitar. Borrowed it to a friend, who then declined to give it back. Wanted buy it instead.. He said that he liked it´s looks so much that he wouldn´t apart with it..:rolleyes: Got nice cash from it and bought a Hagström 8-string :D

Kari

3. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the bass version is very rare. Only seen once a pic of it in ebay.. It had the exact same body as the Saturn guitar..