1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1969 Super Reverb to Bass Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrazyDrew6, Jul 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CrazyDrew6

CrazyDrew6

Jul 28, 2017
    Howdy y'all (first post!)-
    I am not a bass guitarist, but my band's drummer wants to play bass (we currently are looking for a bass guitarist). He has a 25 watt fender rumble bass amp and an original 1969 45 watt fender super reverb. I was wondering if he could convert his guitar amp to a bass amp by buying a 1x12 cab and hooking up the output of the super reverb to the cab. Is this stupid? Should we find someone with a real rig? Speaker recommendations? We're a punk band and want loud bass. I have a 40 watt Marshall DSL40c.

2. CrazyDrew6

CrazyDrew6

Jul 28, 2017
    This will be used live.

3. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Will a super reverb work as a bass amp? Yes. And it would probably sound good for punk. But you will need more than a 1x12 bass cabinet to keep up with a guitar and drums.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  4. The SR uses the 4 10s in parrallel for a two ohm impedence.
    You could find a pair of 215 cabs to get the right impedence
    and a lot of cone area.
    It would still be 45 watts, so not very loud.

However, you would have the speakers to put under a more powerful head.

Aqualung60, Gizmot and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your max budget?

6. Yes as Bill says it should run at 2 ohms and there aren't (if any) a whole lot of two ohm cabs floating around, there are some 4 ohm cabs which you would run in parallel for the proper two ohms but like he said it's not going to be very loud either way and you don't want to ruin a Super Reverb by running it at a higher impedance than it's supposed to have, those are nice amps. I would just use the Rumble until you get a bass player.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Blad51 likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Welcome to TB! Glad you're here getting some great bass advice. :)

First, Can he play bass well enough?

45 watts and 1x12 probably won't be loud enough. If you turn it up, the amp will distort.

You probably need 300 watts and a couple 4x10s. Lots of big rigs for sale these days.

Is the '69 Super in good shape? Sell it to fund a bass rig.:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Lvjoebass and Ampslut like this.
  8. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Yeah, 45 watts and 1x12 will not begin to cut it in a loud rock setting.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope.
    yep. (sorry)

10. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    If you're not using that original silverface, I'll trade you for an old bass combo that will be louder and sound better... as a bass amp. Even trade? :laugh:

Seriously though, get a cheap 1x15 used bass combo, it won't cost you much and will work better for you.

11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah...lock up that '69 for another 20-30 years or so. :bassist::thumbsup:

swafran and Ampslut like this.
  12. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Sell the Super to a harp player, or better yet use it as a guitar amp(good enough for Chuck Berry). The Super is worth close to a grand if it is in good shape. For that you could buy a monster bass rig used.

13. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    The '69 Super Reverb is one of the best sounding guitar amps I've ever used (used as a guitar amp). If I remember correctly, they were about $400 full-tilt list price back when it was new. I've seen them on the used market for $2,000 - $2,500. In my opinion, someone would be nuts to pay that kind of money for one - but they do. Just for reference, the new versions of that model are nowhere near as good because the speakers that Fender uses are pitiful - but Jensen, who made the original speakers, has been out of business for a long time. The "new" Jensen speakers they use aren't the same design and don't sound anything like the beautiful, three-dimensional sound of those 60s Super Reverbs.

The 4 x 10 speaker configuration is the same as the original, redesigned Fender Bassman - but it doesn't have enough output to be used for anything but a practice amp. Even with bigger, more efficient, closed-back speakers, it won't keep up with a live drummer and guitar.

14. Yeah that will work. A 15 or pair would be better though. I use a bantam bass which regular channel is essentially a super reverb. Sounds great.

Enjoy

15. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Sell the super reverb to someone who will appreciate it. Using it as a bass amp is a sin against the guitar god and will doom your band for ever (just kidding). Seriously, a super reverb in good shape is a classic and should not be messed with. Sell it and buy a used bass rig.

Blad51 likes this.
  16. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

When I switched to bass in 1969, I struggled with a 50 watt Bassman, starting with a 2X12 and moved on to bigger, more efficient speakers. Even two EV SRO 15's and a folded horn 2X15 I built did not make that amp loud enough for even practice with my band. A 1975 125w Carvin SS head blew it away.

17. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Would your drummer use chopsticks and plastic bottles for a drum kit?

18. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Heh - This.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I used to run this into an appropriate bass cabinet for a not overly loud band. With a punk band, not so sure.

Forerunner of your amp.
    Concert-Amp-1200_0106.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2011 All rights reserved.

Lvjoebass and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. Blad51

Blad51

May 19, 2017
    Please don't, the Fender Super Reverb is an amazing guitar amplifier.

For 20 years a Super Reverb was my primary amplifier when I played guitar in a band . I hauled it in a flight case. Heavy, but worth it.

Buy a proper bass amp.

bobyoung53 likes this.