1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1969 Suzuki Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JoshT, Feb 5, 2018.

1. JoshT

JoshT

Feb 5, 2018
    So I recently (today) found a (as in the title) 1969 Suzuki upright bass. It's full scale, and in pretty nice condition. Was wondering how much one of these would be worth.

2. Last one I saw sell on eBay went for $300.

They’re not exactly good.

3. JoshT

JoshT

Feb 5, 2018
    aw dang
    '69 tho?

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Year of manufacture is pretty much irrelevant for cheap plywood basses.

5. I owned a Suzuki bass when I was in high school. My parents helped me purchase it used from a listing in a trader tabloid. It was the first bass I ever owned. Compared to the war-torn Kays and Englehardts the school owned, it seemed like a Cadillac to me, and I was just thrilled to have my own instrument. I do remember it had one open seam that was temperamental. That was when my teacher taught me how to mix hide glue. ;)

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I bought an old 5/8 Suzuki once which needed lots of work, especially delamination around the edges. When I was finished the thing didn't sound half bad. I think I paid $300 and sold it for $600. This was 20 years ago, before the Chinese invasion.

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA