1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1969 SVT BlueLine with 6146 tubes HUM...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rawdogg, Feb 24, 2008.

1. rawdogg

rawdogg

Feb 12, 2008
    I was trying to find as much info on this amp as possible. I've read so many contradictory statements. I read that since these amps are so old they are not reliable for gigs or touring. Then I'll read that they are built like tanks and will NEVER let me down. I bought one about a month ago on Ebay. It is definitely built like a tank and weighs about the same. It does have the 6146 tubes in it. The tubes have a part that clips on top like a distributor cap in a car engine. I'm assuming these are all hand wired and soldered. I was told that it was completely gone over and biased and balanced and all that. I guess my question is:
    Do i need to be so anal with this? I've been treating it like a new born baby. I haven't gigged with it yet but I will be next week. Is there anyone who gigs regularly with one of these? Can they take a bit of a beating? I'm guessing it can. After all, it is almost 40 years old. What is the proper way to take care of one of these? Also if I put the 1-2-3 frequency rocker switch on 1 and turn the midrange knob past 2 o' clock there's a hum. Is this normal? If not, what can be the problem? Other than that. It sounds like the voice of GOD!!!

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I would PM Psycho Bass Guy. Resident expert on things SVT.