1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1969 Telecaster Bass (Refinish / SD Antiquity / OHSC)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DWest1981, Jan 5, 2017.

1. DWest1981

DWest1981 Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Price:
    Strings:
    TeleFront. TeleHSFront. TeleFB. TeleBodyFront. TeleHSTM. TeleNeckBack. TeleBodyBack. TeleHSMM.

Have you ever wanted to play a new old Telecaster?

Six years ago I did, and I bought this bass in pieces from a chop-shop seller on that auction site. I managed to get all the parts except for the pickup and the chrome, which is a shame.

I gathered everything up and sent it to Krishna Jain of the Guitar Garage of Waltham Massachusetts with the agreement that he'd take as much time as he needed. I have a string of emails between us detailing the work done and I'd be happy to provide them to any buyer. The same with the original pictures of the parts of the bass taken from the auction site and again by Krishna when he received the pieces. I received the finished instrument in May 2015, just in time to be downsized the first time and get lost in the shuffle of hunting for continuing employment.

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with the quality of the work performed and feel that it will preserve the instrument for many years longer than would have otherwise been possible, given the poor condition it had been in.

The neck and fingerboard were refreshed, dings and dents removed and polished up. The body was refinished in semi-transparent blonde, the metal replacement nut that came on the neck was removed and replaced with bone, a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup was installed and the whole instrument was reassembled. There's a pretty good patina on the original chrome bits and the electronics operate smoothly and quietly as expected.

The resulting instrument is fantastic. For me it was a $3000 investment between parts and labor. It resulted in 9lbs 4oz of single coil love, chunky and everything you'd want from a '69 tele bass. I'll take my satisfaction in having reassembled a great instrument from parts that a chop shop had intended to spread all over to make a quick buck.

Though the Antiquity pickup is uncovered, I do have the chrome guard that installs over it and it will be included with the bass.

Comes with a well-worn, but safe and functional Fender hard case which I believe to be original to the instrument.

The neck is straight and plays very nicely. I understand there will be more information a potential buyer might want, and I am looking forward to providing it. Please feel free to request specific photos or other information. I expect this to be an interactive experience.

Why am I finding a new home for it?
    I'm between jobs at the moment and the Big Plan seems to have fallen through. This Telecaster and the MM Stingray in my other thread were supposed to be on the never-for-sale list, but as much as it hurts I've got to feed the family and sometimes pet projects must be given up.

Not looking for trades, sorry. Price may seem a little high, but it includes professional packing, shipping and insurance to the Continental US. As a prior service member, I am willing to discuss shipping to Alaska, Hawaii & FPO/APOs.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and comment!
    DW

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    seang15, denton57 and blindrabbit like this.
  2. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    PMed

3. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you sir! Thanks to yours and a few other requests, I'll be posting what I have of the history of this instrument early next week.

Now to find my mining helmet and some TNT...

DW

4. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The Telecaster is SOLD and headed to a new home in Columbus, Indiana.

Thanks very much for all the interest!

DW