1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

196_ jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I am curious as to what are the characteristics of these basses. My friend's dad owns one, so we all think. He doesn't play bass so he doesn't really know much about it for sure. Although I don't have a picture i can describe it pretty well:

*is sold black, pickguard and headstock too.
    * has no fender logo on the headstock
    * has no serial # on the outside of the bass... We thinks it is on the inside of the neck.
    * has a precession neck.
    * has EMG's <--- old ones
    * has the jazz bass pickup style

If you need more info let me know, i'll try and get a picture soon...

thx, 4SF

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The only way you are going to tell is take the neck off. No logo or serial, no date.

3. Did early CBS models not have serial numbers on the outside too?

BTW have you heard of the band Exile? The bass belonged to Sonny Lemaire, maybe this will help.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm pretty sure EMGs weren't around in the '60's.

5. thats what I thought^^^^

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Um...no serial numbers ever on the inside. They're always on the outside. On 60's basses, they are on the neckplate on the back.

EMGs are in no way original nor were production active pickups around in the 60's.

Logos can come off, get stripped or get refin'ed but without more info or a picture, no one's going to be able to verify much.