1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1970-80's Matsumoku Japan Lawsuit PJ Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bobby King, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a 1970-80's Matsumoku Japan Lawsuit PJ Bass

Matsumoku was a renowned factory in Japan that produced instruments for Ibanez, Aria, Epiphone and others. I don't know the brand name of this because it was sanded off of the headstock. The neck plate says "Matsumoku", "Made in Japan" and has a serial number. The Japanese "lawsuit' basses from the 70's and 80's are excellent instruments, far superior to many Mexi and Asian Fenders.

This one has a maple neck and fingerboard, 1 5/8" nut width. The body is alder, Candy Apple Red with a white pick guard. I got it from a pawnshop in Nashville about 6 months ago, and I've replaced the pickups and wiring. It has a Seymour Duncan Vintage P and a standard Fender Jazz bridge pickup. It was rewired with CTS pots. Plays and sounds great and is a lightweight 8.6 lbs. Some wear but overall very good condition. Some fret wear but plenty of fret to dress if desired. Will ship with a Fender gig bag. Price adjusted for lack of head stock logo.

$350 shipped in the CONUS (add $25 to West Coast, shipping is ridiculous these days!)

Thanks! 01. 02. 03. 04. 05. 06. 07. 08.

2. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Bobby - Is that discoloration on the headstock anything to worry about? I notice one of the screws is missing from the top tuning machine. Also, is it correct to assume the neck is straight and the truss rod works properly? Thank You.

3. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    BTW, where is the truss rod?