1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available 1970 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rbeck47, Jun 5, 2020.

1. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Price:
    $2850
    Strings:
    For Sale Only – This vintage Fender P Bass has aged to perfection. The alder body with original Sunburst finish has aged & worn beautifully, giving the bass a true authentic look. Years of honest player wear results in a true relic appearance, with various nicks, dents & dings, scratches, weather checking & some finish wear. The maple neck and fretboard are 1-5/8” wide at the nut. Frets show some light wear & have plenty of life in them. Neck is straight & truss rod works fine. Bass weighs 9.2 lbs. with both covers on. As can be seen in the pics, a former owner drilled two extra holes in the body – probably had a thumb rest installed there at one time. Original hardshell case included. The case shows plenty of wear, but it is 50 years old and serves its purpose. The bass is currently strung with flats and plays just great. I will sell and ship in the CONUS for $2,850 plus actual shipping charges, and PayPal is preferred. I have additional photos of the bass taken apart (pickups, neck heel and pocket, pots etc.) that I'll provide to serious potential buyers upon request.

Attached Files:

2. rbeck47

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Two more pics with case.

Attached Files:

TolerancEJ and InnerBass like this.
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm.... makes a fella think

great looking bass

rbeck47 and teh-slb like this.
  4. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Cool bass and great guy to deal with.

rbeck47 likes this.
  5. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    (drool)

emoterply and rbeck47 like this.
  6. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Pretty rare to see a maple neck P bass from 1970. This must be one of the first maple necks after Fender switched to rosewood in 1959.

7. rbeck47

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Thanks for the help. See the pics attached from the the illustrated history of The Fender Bass.

Attached Files:

El Tookay, D Bopp and jebmd like this.
  8. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    How can this beauty still be here. I’ve seen late 70’s P’s priced higher than this.

rbeck47 likes this.
  9. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Strings are way off center, over the neck. Any explanation as to why?

10. rbeck47

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    I see that, now that you mentioned it. Never noticed anything when playing it, and the previous owner didn't either. There are some heavier gauge flats on it now, and maybe a former owner adjusted the nut a little when they were put on. That would be my guess.

11. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    If you can, take off the bridge cover and photo the bridge. The strings may just be over a few threads on the saddles.

rbeck47 likes this.
  12. rbeck47

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Thanks D Bopp! I think that took care of it - the E string was not seated in the middle of the saddle.

Attached Files:

bobunit, D Bopp and jebmd like this.