1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1970 SVT or Newer SVT VR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kmonk, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 1970 SVT Head and cab for $1,800 and a U.S. made SVT VR head and U.S. 810 cab for $1,200. Both are in very good condition. What do you think is the better deal? Not asking for an opinion on price, just wondering what you would buy given these options based on the sound of each. According to the owner of the 1970, it was recently serviced and has no issues.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    The 1970 will retain its value better, IMO.

3. COFFINMAGIC

COFFINMAGIC

Mar 25, 2018
    Yeah the 70 will hold value and is vintage and carries all of the clout that comes with that...not to mention sick tone if it’s running right...but $1200 for a VR AND an 8x10? That deal is insane!!!

Mvilmany likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Sound should be very, very similar.

Regarding the 1970 head. Does it have 6550 or 6146 output tubes? Will you be running the amp clean or flat out? The 6146s make a bit more power, but they may not tolerate abuse as well as 6550s. Are there any gut shots? I would want to confirm the circuit boards are not trashed and it has the original transformers.

$1,200 for a clean US made SVT VR and 810 sounds like a steal.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Any used amp can be a money pit if you have to pay a tech to bring it up to spec. New amps don't come with that concern and they come with a warranty.

COFFINMAGIC likes this.
  6. Johnny_B

Johnny_B

Dec 11, 2008
    IF its running right is the key.. Has this amp been modded or recapped? My $1000 70 SVT needed to be recapped and tubed to sound good. $2200 later for a quality restorer to do the work and dial it in, it rocks. Period! Even at low levels the sound quality is killer. The 810 cab isn't a mystery. Find a used cab and load it with what you like.

1st post, hello....Jb

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    $1200 for a VR and 8x10 would be my vote and for reference I have an early 70s SVT and flatback 8x10.

No worries on caps, fewer worries on use history, no 6C4 tube, high power handling cab, etc etc. Only worry on the US made VR heads is the low voltage protection circuit and the fix for that is pretty straight forward.

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'd vote for the 1970, however go with that you want and what works best for you honestly.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021