1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1970s Fender 2x15 bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Faijex, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    Does anyone have any experience with this cab? It says made in California in 1970 on the back, has two 15 inch speakers, stumbled across one for what I think is a good price, sounds good even with a gk 700rb which i think doesn't go with its vintage tone, trying to decide if I should go and pick it up right now.

image-1987917071.

image-3567262016.

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    :DI love me some 2x15's....so I say YES....then post some pics.

3. I have one that I use with my GK 800RB and also my Ampeg V4B. It's in excellent condition. Has new higher wattage Eminence speakers in it. Sounds fantastic. I think I paid $350 for it.

4. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    So $299 would be a good price? Not trying to overstep my user status here,

5. I'd haggle a bit. Mine didn't have hardly a scratch on it and the grill fabric was perfect. Does it have the original or replacement speakers? I'm not real sure how much of a factor that is in the price though.

6. bushwhacker

bushwhacker

Dec 17, 2011
    That is the cab I played through from 1969-1974 with a Kustom Tuck and Roll Head.
    I loved the sound, but it was a heavy beast to move around. Luckily I had a Ford LTD I could load it into. I sold it when I got seriously into College studying and put down the Bass, but boy do I wish I still had it now. I would say buy it if you love rich deep sound, and have a strong back.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Used to have one of those under my Bassman135 when I first stumbled into TB and BFM. IIRC, it's about average internal volume-wise for a 215. Looks big but it's shallow. It's probably worth 200-some, maybe 300 if everything works. Could really benefit from a pair of emi. CB158's....or old JBL's if you like top end.

8. Mine still has the cart. I forgot to mention that. That should also figure in the price. It makes it easier to move around. But because the cab is tall and narrow it's prone to falling over if the wheels catch on something. Mine never leaves the house!

9. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    If it has the original speakers and they are in good working condition it's a fair price. I have one that I still use for larger bars. The fact that it's narrow and tall makes it a little easier to move around with two people.

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    This is a great cabinet! I'd recommend swapping the speakers, if original. You can lighten it up a little with the Eminence 3015s. I used a slightly smaller version (Fender's first 2x15 was "horizontally" oriented), which was loaded with EV SROs - a very heavy speaker! JohnK_10 recently built his own version of this cab, but added ports. I prefer sealed... It's also easier to carry than you might think. Especially using a cart or dolly. I'm in the process of collecting materials to build my own "copy" of this great cabinet! Buy it, and enjoy!

11. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    A few years back I got one in trade (~$100 worth of work and pickup/preamp). I sold it for $100, bought it back for $100, then sold it again for $100. Mine had the original speakers and a replacement grill and cloth (homemade tie-dye) and was from the later '70s. Fairly beat, it spent ~25 years under a Bassman 135 for a local college's jazz band.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It looks small, in terms of internal volume. But, I could be wrong, maybe they make up for the shallow depth with added width. Also how's that thing ported? I suspect it's tuned pretty high. How is it braced, if at all? How is it lined, if at all? If it gives you the sound you want, then it's the cab for you. It looks like it'd be way off the mark for me personally. BTW... If the head has one of those 4-string/5-string buttons, leave it in the 4-string position.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I just wouldn't dump tons and tons and tons of super low end into it. :D

14. As much as I love vintage gear (and I own a lot of it, and gig with most of it on a regular basis) I've never been too impressed with Fender's 2x15 cabinet. I used one with a 50 watt Fender head back in the late 1970s, and a different one (but the same 2x15" configuration) throughout the 1980s. They never seemed to provide the volume or the deep tone you would expect from two 15 inch speakers. I don't know if the cabinet wasn't made deep enough, or if it should have been two separate encloses mounted together, but I think they lack something. BUT if you like them and they give you your sound, go for it!

15. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

The cab can still have plenty of character even if you replace the speakers. I have nothing but positive things to say about changing out mine.

16. +1, I have a late 60s 2-15 Showman cab, which is what that looks like. Dropped in 2 JBL D140Fs and ported them, great vintage tone w/some more low end. And I use a GK800RB. Good cab, just a bit of a bear to move around unless you have a dolly.

Bet the Emi CB158s or even the 3015s would be great in there, but I do recommend porting/tuning to get the most out of those cabs.

17. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Bought one many years ago with a Fender blackface Bassman head from a friend for $100. The speakers were blown, and the head only needed tubes. The worst thing was, the cabinet weighed like 400 lbs., so you better have a good back or leave it in your practice room!

18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    It does look like a Dual Showman cabinet , I had one with JBL D-140s in it I bought new old stock in 1971 with that same silver strip around the grill . It had sat at the local music store for a couple years till I bought it and at one point the store loaned it to Chuck Berry when he did a concert in Rock Island Illinois .

They are a sealed cab made out of pine with not much room in the cab inside . They sound great at lower volumes but as soon as you get it loud enough to hear over a drummer they start farting out , at least mine did with good D-140s . I used a Bassman 100 which had just came out and could not get loud enough to be heard with my band unless I wanted a distorted rumble . They make good loud guitar cabinets with D-130 speakers but for bass they are pretty much junk . If ported right for the speaker and braced better they could be good like some of the other guys said but stock they pretty much suck for bass guitar .

19. I have to agree, you do need to brace and line them to get the most out of them, besides porting/tuning. Once I did that it was no problem getting great tone at high volumes out it.

If you want THE surf guitar sound, then these are what you want loaded w/the D130Fs :bassist:

The better 2-15 bass cabs back from that era seem to be the Sunns and the Kustoms from what I've been reading here from those in the know.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I had one. Skip it. The Kustom tuck and roll 215 cab, Acoustic 301 118, and the Sunn 215 (2000S) killed it. Literally, as it was discontinued in the early 70s.

What are you seeking? Sound or vintage looks? If you want both, get an SVT. If sound is the thing get a good used 4 ohm 410 and a 2ohm capable head with at least 600 watts into 4ohms.

Yes, you could also kill with a fEARful 15/6 and a micro head like a GK mb800.

The dual showman cabs, IMHO, are a huge waste of time, and I had two. A single Fender vibrolux 210 guitar amp, a farfisa organ through a 212, a semi-wimpy drummer, and a 100 watt 2x412 column PA buried my 2x215 dual shownman.

Those were the bad old days, for real. :spit: