1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1970's Fender color question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SneakyT, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SneakyT

SneakyT Commercial User

Dec 5, 2005
    Austin
    There are some good resources on line for sixties color options but none that I've found for the seventies. Does anyone know of a good source? I'm pretty sure that I know most of the options for most years but then I saw a Dakota red 77 jazz that is definitely original so I'm beginning to wonder if there were any other weird ones that I missed. Now that 70's basses and guitars are becoming more collectable you would think that there would be more resources out there.

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Antigua

3. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    I recommend the above titled book to anyone who digs Fender basses. It's very detailed and the photos are excellent. It's basically a good reference guide which documents the various transitional changes, both cosmetic and functional, of each production model. All Fender models are included, but the primary focus is on P and J basses. As the title suggests, it's definitely an illustrated history.

The books also includes color charts for each decade's models as well as reproductions of many catalogs and ads that were offered over the years. Regarding your specific question, the book includes the following quote about color options on 70's basses: "The new color offerings did not equal the diversity of the previous decade."

Rare basses are also pictured. Of particular interest is a photo (on page 54) of a charcoal frost Precision Bass with black blocks and binding on a maple fretboard, which was usually only found on jazz basses.

The book was written by JW Black and Albert Molinaro and published by Hal Leonard.

4. SneakyT

SneakyT Commercial User

Dec 5, 2005
    Austin
    That book is great but I'm really looking for more specific stuff than what is in there. I.E. 1970-1974 colors that were offered were natural, black, lake placid, sunburst, dakota red, olympic white, Candy apple red was discontinued in 1973.............etc.

A resource similar to this one for sixties basses
    http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

It would be a shame if something like that does not exist. You would think that there would be better documentation the later the model.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Word.

Fave Fender finish ever.

6. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Yeah, i enjoy a good antigua or a sunburst. :bassist: