1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1970's Fender P Bass - Restoration Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jt4bass, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jt4bass

Jt4bass

Mar 23, 2014
    To All -

I'm new to TalkBass but love it. You folks have been a great source of information. I need some specific help here.

I received a Fender P-Bass from my Dad. The Ser# is 405080. My research puts it in the 1973 area. I received it in the mail today and started to check it for markings. Here they are.

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/Jt_On_Bass/library/

I'm curious about the markings, the pots and the black wire that seems to run into the body of the bass??

Thanks for your input.

If is is a Frankenstein bass already, I will fix it up with misc parts, if all match up, I will restore with parts for the year / era. Any suggestions on pickups would be cool also.

JT

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The body of that bass is likely a '74 or '75. What makes you think this is a Frankenstein bass? The markings look right and it doesn't seem to be routed. Post better photos and jot down the neck stamp number.

3. Jt4bass

Jt4bass

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I have NO reason to think it is not original - other than my dad bough it used in about 1978-79.

I posted the best pic that I could for the neck stamp.

It has some type of ground issue that is causing a loud hum. I will take a few more pics of the pickups etc and update the photobucket link.

Thanks

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    While a natural(unpainted) 70's Fender may not be the most desirable value wise that one left the factory that way......probably 9 out of every 10 you see were stripped or sanded at some point.

5. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Everything in your pics looks correct for a '73. I do see one extra screw hole by control cavity that's not factory. That black wire goes to under the bridge (the end is exposed and sandwiched between the body and the bridge to ground out the bridge/strings). The other end of that wire should be soldered to the casings of one of the pots. That's most likely what's causing your hum - if it isn't soldered to a pot, or if it's not making contact with the bridge. You said you're curious about the pots, but I don't see a pic of them in your photobucket link.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The neck stamp is unreadable in those photos. You'll have to look up close and tilt the neck in the light to decipher what the numbers actually are. Do that and let us know what the numbers are.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Is the hum affected by you touching the strings/bridge/metal or does it remain constant?