Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1970's Ibanez Fender Jazz Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Does anyone have any expience with these? I have always heard that ibanez's early stuff was awesome ( guitar wise ) but I am not sure about the basses. I was thinking about picking one up, and getting it defretted.. Just thoughts..

2. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    The "Silver Series" J clones of the very late 70's are amazing.
    Watch the headstock on the earlier ones, they are slightly smaller then normal, the "Silver Series" are the same dimensions as Fender. The all maple necks with black block position markers are great.
    Growl city!!!

3. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    A friend of mine has one of these. He bought it brand new in the mid 70's and played it rarely so the bass remained immaculate in the hardshell case all these years. It's well constructed, got that classic J bass tone but IT WEIGHT A TON!!!!

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hmm I am really considering buying this one because it's had its frets removed.. :hyper: I dunno its still got a few days.

5. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    The bass should have block inlays on the fingerboard. If so I wouldn't recommend a conversion to fretless.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    yeah it does
    I am def. thinking i'll buy it.. I think my roof price will be 250 dollars? Thinks thats a somewhat fair price?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I love the neck, but that is one hideous burst.

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hm I misread wouldn't as would.. Can you tell me why you wouldn't recommend the conversion to fretless?

9. I've got a fretted Jazz from '75 with only the spaghetti logo on it and I've got a fretless Jazz Silver Series from '77. Personally I think they are great. I still get amazed att how good they are when I pick them up (usually they are my main and only basses but I've been borrowing a 5 for a while so).

I paid ~150€ for the fretless and ~500€ for the fretted (I wanted a Jazz with block inlays so it was the cheapest that met my "needs" and it was a great bass)

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Alright.. I think it's worth a shot.. and If I don't like it I can put it back on the bay.. What dya think of the roof price.. of 250 dollars?

11. zozo

zozo

Sep 21, 2004
    Izmir,Turkey
    man are you sure this is real Ibanez,coz i have one of these and it has no serial number on it..does yours have serial number on it?

12. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    'Cause of the plastic inlays. String-to-wood contact is quite different than string-to-plastic contact: expecially if you use a lot of slides in your fretless technique you'll experience this.
    It's the twin of my friend's bass except for that one have a rosewood fingerboard.

13. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    OK, I defretted and sanded down the fingerboard on my first bass, an Ibanez Silver Series Jazz.
    Yes, I ruined it!!! This was a while ago...
    What I found in the process was that the black block inlays on the maple neck were A BLACK STAIN APPLIED TO THE WOOD!!!
    So, there was no issue with different materials on the fingerboard, as it was all wood with the black stained block position markers. I still have the neck...
    Have I now helped someone as a result of my folly? HUZZAH!!!

14. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i find it very unlikely that anyone would "clone" an ibanez. They have no real resale value. Kinda like putting a squier decal on an sx bass.

15. zozo

zozo

Sep 21, 2004
    Izmir,Turkey
    elgranluis yes,i totally agree with you but i have doubts coz as i said there's no serial number on it..does anyone has one of these?does it have a serial on it? i would really appreciate it if you could help me..

16. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Makes a lot of sense... Guess I'll go look for some used shtuff at guitarcenter see if I can get myself a nice birf day present..

17. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    My friend's bass (that - I say it again- looks exactly the same except for the fingerboard) has the serial number on the neck-body joint plate. It's a real Ibanez ... he bought it in a store, it has tags etc. etc.

18. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    But maple fingerboards are usually finished, so it'll probably be string-to-poly contact in this case... it can't be too bad right? Some people coat their boards anyway to protect from damage.

Rosewood's unfinished generally, so there'll be string-to-plastic contact.