1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1970's Mighty Mite P bass pickup, help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rdhbass, Jul 2, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi, I posted this so in hopes that somebody else has a pickup like mine. I excitedly bought a P bass pickup, with the removable covers that was brand new New old stock Mighty mite 70's made by early Seymour Duncan. I had no instructions for install and i have two wires for each pickup a red one and a white one. I put both pickups together (combining inside red and white wire) and assume that the red wire is Hot and White is ground. I get alot of noise from these, they have strong magnets and any which way i hook em up, red hot or white hot I get noise. i have shielded my cavity, made a bridge ground, etc. and I still have a little noise. I want these dead quiet. Anybody know these pickups?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you tried connecting two reds and taking the output from the two whites, or vice versa? It's just a thought.

If you have a one pickup bass, phasing (red= hot or ground?) doesn't really make any difference because the coils aren't shielded.

Is the body shielded all the way into the pickup cavity?

If properly interconnected, a P Bass pickup is a humbucker so it should be pretty quiet.

Good luck!!!!

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    i will try all these things, thanks!