Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1971, 1972, 1973 jazz bass colour combinations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elgranluis, May 10, 2004.

1. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I was wondering what the period correct body color/ pickguard combinations would be for those time periods. Pics are wellcome, as well as knowledgable answers :D

The reason i'm asking is the following: some of you may remember a post about a 72 jazz that i bought. anyway, the pickguard is not the original pickguard. It is a 73 or later 4 ply bwbw pickguard. Thing is, id like to "restore" the bass to something original looking (the thumbrest should be on the G side, instead of the E side, where it is now).

Sure, i could drill the "right" holes one the pickguard and no one will ever know :ninja: , but actually id just like to buy a nice "correct" pickguard and put the "original" (really worn) out of service. Therefore, id like to know what colours were actually used on those years. The bass as it stands is maple/black blocks/black binding with black body and black pickguard.

I was thinking about the 62 jazz bass ri pickguard, but i've heard that it is more of a brown (60s) than a redish (70s) shell. WD doesnt have any aged stuff either.

thanks!

2. orenc

orenc

Aug 21, 2003
    Israel
    here is my 73' jazz bass:

3. Check out this Vintage Fender Jazz site!

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#jbass

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    thanks a lot!!!