SOLD 1971 Fender Jazz Bass - Vintage Vibe!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by peabody, Oct 27, 2017.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have for sale a '71 Fender Jazz with a cool Olympic White refin. This is the one bass I thought I would keep forever. It is one of the best sounding and best playing basses I have ever owned. The reason I am selling it is it's just not being played anymore...and it deserves to go to someone who will play it.

I will be as honest as I can about this bass because it is a bit unique....

• I have owned the bass for over 10 years and when I got it (I purchased from a TB'er), the finish had been stripped off and it had a funky varnish finish.
    • I had the bass professionally refinished in Olympic White and the work was done by Dave's Guitar Shop here in La Crosse, WI (the color of the bass is actually much creamier than the pics show).
    • The pickguard is not original, but the previous owner said it came from a Fullerton '62 reissue.
    • For some reason when I got it, it had a generic Fender neck plate. I'm not sure why and the previous owner didn't know either. I replaced it with a period correct neck plate with a serial number from 1971 (serial # 302081).
    • Only one pickup has a production code stamp (2091), which dates it to 1971, but both pickups appear to be identical. About two years ago I had the pickups rewound to original specs by Lindy Fralin.
    • The pots appear to be original and all date from '71. They can get a little scratchy if the bass hasn't been played for awhile, but nothing serious. If you twist them back and forth a couple of times, it goes away.
    • The neck is in great shape and the finish was taken off to give it a smooth satiny feel.
    • The previous owner said he had it refretted, but who ever did the work must have been very meticulous because you really can't tell by looking at the binding.
    • One very unique feature is this bass has the old, lollipop style tuners. I have no explanation other than someone either swapped them out at some point, or Fender was using up some of their inventory when the bass was made (which they have been known to do).
    • I don't have the original case, but it will come with a very nice G&G blonde tolex case.
    • I don't have the original covers, but I will include a set of Fender replacements if you want to give it that true, vintage look.
    • The bass weighs in at a very comfortable 9 lbs, 2 oz on my digital scale.

Price is $3199 $2999 $2895 $2595 $2449 $2349 $2249 $2199 shipped to the lower 48.

Sorry, I'm really not looking for any trades on this.

Again, I've tried to be as honest as I can with what I know about the bass, but please feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. You can send me a message through here or feel free to contact me at [email protected].

If you are looking for a beautiful 70's Jazz with a vintage vibe, this is the bass for you.

P1020574.JPG P1020591.JPG P1020580.JPG P1020588.JPG P1020589.JPG P1020575.JPG P1020576.JPG P1020590.JPG P1020577.JPG P1020578.JPG P1020579.JPG P1020583.JPG

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    this looks way better than the one i saw last week that looked like somebody used a roller to paint it with yellow house paint glwts

3. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price drop to $2999 shipped.

4. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I thought I should warn you....anyone playing this bass may come down with a severe case of "bass face." As Leo Fender said..."Let there be bass."

bass face.jpg

BrentSimons and tat2clod like this.
  5. Mistahbenn

Mistahbenn Supporting Member

May 15, 2007
    Brooklyn
    My 69 has lolis too...

KUETSUM likes this.
  6. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price drop to $2895 shipped.

7. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price drop to $2595 shipped...

8. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price dropped to $2449 shipped....

9. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price drop to $2349 shipped. I've had a few tire kickers, but no takers yet. This is a heckuva lot of bass for the money.

10. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Black Friday Special....$2249 shipped.

11. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Last price reduction....$2199 shipped.

12. Kernkamp

Kernkamp Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Woah. That is super nice and a great deal. Dave’s is my favorite shop anywhere. I wish I could swing it. I’m about to list a 75 p bass that would match this very well. GLWTS.

13. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    ...and sold! Thanks everyone for your interest. I'm going to really miss this bass....

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021