1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1971 Fender Musicmaster / Mustang short scale NECK ONLY

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by AndyCotton, Oct 15, 2009.

1. AndyCotton

AndyCotton

Feb 4, 2008
    Guilford, VT
    for sale:

Fender Musicmaster short scale rosewood bass neck. I believe it is the same neck used on the Mustang basses.

The nut and tuners are missing.

The frets and fingerboard are in EXCELLENT condition.
    It doesn't look like this neck was played much at all, really.

The neck looks very straight to my eye. The truss rod turns easily.

I realize now I didn't photograph the back of the neck, but it is smooth and nearly perfect with the feel of old wood.

Neck stamp is faint but reads: 8 DEC 71 B.

I'd like to get $150, but I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offers.

HIGH RES PICS HERE

thanks for looking,
    -andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AndyCotton

AndyCotton

Feb 4, 2008
    Guilford, VT
    here's the idea:

I had two of these necks originally and had one made into a custom short scale Tele bass by Creston Guitars in Burlington, VT. Creston did a great job designing and building this bass. (see pic - note that this IS a Musicmaster neck but the logo was replaced during the building of the new bass)

Because of the old neck it is a real pleasure to play. I forget what the body wood it, but the Lollar pickups sound great. It fits in a guitar gig bag, too, which is awesome for travelling.

The neck I'm selling is just as nice, but I used the one that still had the original tuners.

***** THIS BASS IS NOT FOR SALE - JUST THE NECK IN THE ORIGINAL POST ********

[​IMG]

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How certain are you that it is not twisted? Why did this one come in 2nd place to the one that was used on your custom bass. Nice bass by the way.

4. AndyCotton

AndyCotton

Feb 4, 2008
    Guilford, VT
    to my eye it is straight and true. the frets are clean and even.

I chose the other neck for my bass as it still had the original tuners and button for the G&D strings.

5. AndyCotton

AndyCotton

Feb 4, 2008
    Guilford, VT
    I took some measurements for an interested party. Thought they might be helpful to someone else here:

tuner holes 3/8" diameter
    headstock depth 5/8"
    neck width at nut 1 9/16"
    width at 19th (last) fret ~2 1/4"

6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    payment sent! thanks, ron

7. AndyCotton

AndyCotton

Feb 4, 2008