1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1971 Fretless Fender Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by wateroftyne, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi all

(This post will be updated with more pics and recordings when I can get somewhere light enough to do it justice! If anyone wants pics of anything specific, let me know.)

It's going to be a real wrench to sell this - we've had lots of adventures together, but needs must. £1600... I don't have a case, so at the moment it's UK collection / meet halfway only. I'm near Newcastle upon Tyne.

1971 factory fretless Fender Precision, 3-tone 'burst, faded to 2-tone on the front. Comes with ashtrays. The neck is a beautifully grained bit of rosewood. It's light.. around 8.6lbs, I think. Elongated 'g' screw on the bridge.

What isn't original:

The original pots and wiring went AWOL a while ago, after I put a Raven Labs PBR-1 in there (no routing required). I put them somewhere REALLY secure, and now I can't find them. They're in the house somewhere, but I have no idea where... I'll probably find them in 15 years' time. Yes, I'm an idiot.

The pots and jack in there now are Fender/CTS 250K pots (couple of years old), a 0.047 capacitor and a quality jack socket. The PBR-1 isn't included.

The pickup and knobs themselves are original. The pickgard screws are replacements. Some of the strap screws, etc. may have been swapped over time - I can't remember!

The nut is a replacement, and one of the washers on the tuners is a replacement.

What is original:

...everything else!

The neck is stamped FEB 71 B, and the neck pocket has a Torres stamp.

I have no case for this, so I'm not keen to post it at the moment. Collection only, or I could meet somewhere.

Here's some pics from a while ago when it still had some red in the 'burst.

pietro1.

pietro3.

pietro2.

...and here's a pic with a recent replacement neck (as I didn't want to spoil the original with roundwounds) which shows how it's faded to 2-tone:

pietro3.

Needless to say it sounds great.. big and fat. Here's a live recording of it, with flatwounds:

Billy Mitchell & Bob Fox - Ramblin' Rover (LIVE) - Mouth of the Tyne Festival, Tynemouth, 2007 - YouTube

Here's another with half-rounds:

Lindisfarne - Winter Song - The Bass Part. Kind of. - YouTube

And here's a little video tour of it:

1971 Fretless Fender Precision - YouTube