1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1971 Gibson SB-400

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sobrilliant, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sobrilliant

sobrilliant Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NYC
    Price:
    $700
    Strings:
    Hello,

While I have purchased a few things here, this is my first Talkbass sale. On the block here is a 1971 Gibson SB-400. This is the 34" scale big brother to the short scale SB-300. I believe these were only manufactured for a couple of years. Every thing is original including the finish and electronics. I had Retrofret in Brooklyn fashion a wooden bridge saddle for this bass as I could not get the stock saddles low enough for my liking (the stock hardware is also included). The bass is in pretty good shape for a 46 year old instrument. It has some cool checking on the top and back and a number of nicks and dents (including a rather large one on the back) and finish cracking around the neck pocket. Also note that the body has no beveling around the edge as many of these do.

P1010218.JPG P1010219.JPG P1010220.JPG P1010234.JPG P1010221.JPG P1010223.JPG P1010225.JPG P1010228.JPG P1010226.JPG P1010235.JPG P1010265.JPG P1010236.JPG

$700 shipped to the lower 48 in a (what I believe is the original) semi-hard cardboard case.. PM me with any questions.

NO TRADES… please :D Thanks for looking.

gsquare likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I've had some SGs of that vintage, and they were particularly 'good wood', very very resonant...
    GLWTS!

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Very cool!

I’ve got an SB-300.

Lead us not into temptation…

4. Johnny F

Johnny F

Jul 15, 2011
    Aztlan
    How much does this beauty weigh, may I ask? My back, you know.

5. Onemanbanned

Onemanbanned Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    MSP
    Bump on a really cool bass. Besides en EB-0 and a Fender Mustang, I have an SB-350 shorty (all 1970's era). These basses do not come up for sale very often. The case is original. "SB" stood for "Student Bass". Lighter weight and "lesser quality" components (including cardboard case) to reduce the price and entice the "new" Jack Bruce's to the bass playing experience. Whoever purchases this is going to love it.

6. Very interested! PM sent!

7. sobrilliant

sobrilliant Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2016
    NYC
    Looks like this one is sold pending payment.