1972 Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I just had my 1972 SVT tuned up by Dennis Kager at Central Jersey Music. He gave it a good once over and replaced 2 pre amp tubes and two power tubes. Its a heavy mutha but it sounds great.... I recently acquired an Anvil case for it with casters...just to add about 35 lbs to the overall weight...I dont know if my back will handle this load but I will have it out next weekend....

He also worked on my 63 B-15. He replaced a few resistors and installed a 3 prong AC cord. The amp has the original speaker and orig tubes and are in fine condition.. I plugged in my P Bass and if I could get that sound on a high power head I would be very happy..any suggestions?

Ampeg makes great stuff and it stands the test of time quite well.... Dennis Kager is a great tech who worked at Ampeg..he is mentioned on the board many times...
  2. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    And the reason you are telling us is?

Just kidding :smug:
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I had to tell someone...

no one at home wants to hear about my amps.... :bawl:

4. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    I think that the B15 only louder quest is a common one to anyone that has played a well maintained b15. i know i would love to find that sound.
  5. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I agree about the B-15. I have a mint '67 B-15-N that sound like butter! I've heard nothing I like better. If someone coould reproduce that tone at higher volumes, they could be rich!
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    TOTALLY agree about the b15--if I could reproduce the b15 only louder I'd be thrilled. The B15 is an awesome beast. Played clean it's a surprisingly "hi fi" sound. Ampegs were the original hi fi instrument amp, but with all the warm smoothness of a good tube amp. I've been able to get close with a sans amp RBI, but I got tired of the tube "emulation" which is always close but not quite. The Sans amp is always trying to be an SVT, which is also cool but more aggressive sounding than the B15 to my ears

I've never understood why someone doesn't make a rack mount b15 preamp. Instead of rack pres based on the fender dual showman--alembic, kern, demeter, etc--why not make a rack mount b15 preamp? Baxandall tone stack, 6sl7, the whole deal? For a while I was looking into bringing the b15 head along, and using the "ext amp" jack into a power amp. But you need a speaker load on the amp, so you need to bring a cab, and then why not just bring the B15 and mic it?

I've lately been getting some of the same vibe from an Avalon U5 into a power amp--if I roll off the treble on my bass, I get something very like the warm, present fat sound of the B15, but without the midl tube compression. Nice, but where's the rack mount b15, i ask ya?
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Dennis gets a lot of my business. A great guy with huge reservoir of knowledge. One of the original Ampegers.