1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1972 Fender Bassman 10 replacement speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Jan 2, 2013.

1. I walked into a pawn shop in the middle of nowhere last week and found an old Bassman 10 sitting there. I was too broke from Christmas to buy it outright, but I plonked down $50 and that baby will be mine when I get my next paycheck. I didn't even play it, so there's no telling what condition it's in, but I can fix the amp no problem if there's any problem, so no biggie there. What I'm thinking about is the speakers. Let's say the speakers are shot, what would be a good replacement? I'm more about going vintage than I am about trying to get modern workable volume out of this thing - I got plenty of loud amps to use at gigs. I just always loved these amps, so I had to get it. I'm thinking just a standard Eminence 10" Beta would be close to what was original. Any thoughts? And I know the originals were 4x32ohm speakers, so I'd replace all (4) with 8ohm in series parallel to get the correct impedance. I'm just wondering if anybody has found a modern replacement that mimics the originals pretty good.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. After looking at the Eminence Alpha 10, I think it would probably be more like the original speaker than the Beta 10, so I may go that route.

Chris

3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
  4. Those Jensen replacements are for the old open-back Tweed Bassman 10, and this one is sealed/ported and designed slightly more for bass. The original speakers are CTS I think, or JBL if I'm really lucky (which I won't be), so I think the Alpha's will be more in line with the originals. Hopefully the original speakers are fine and I won't even have to replace them...

Thanks,
    Chris

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    You can fix old speakers, too. Much better solution. Just be aware: they are 32 ohms each.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    you can also use four 8 ohm speakers wired in series parallel for an 8 ohm load. i'd either get the originals reconed, or if you're going to replace them, i'd recommend four 32 ohm Jensen mod50's : http://www.usspeaker.com/jensen mod10-50-1.htm

7. After looking at speakers today and reading all the threads about replacements for CTS 10 speakers, I'm thinking the Jensen Mod10-50-32ohm would do the trick. Looks like it is very similar to the original speakers, and Eminence Alpha speakers would probably be overkill for what this amp can do. Still got my fingers crossed that the original speakers end up being fine.

Thanks y'all!

Chris

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Considering it's only 50-70 watts, I'd probably use Eminence Betas. Those things have a few holes drilled in the baffle as sort of makeshift "ports". I never reverse engineered the one I had as far as cab tuning frequency, etc. but they are very shallow front to back. Not a lot of room in the cab and may make a better sealed bass cab than a ported one. The Betas will work either way. It's low enough power Alphas will work too. Pretty much anything you stick in there will perform better for bass than the original ones.

Mod50's may be alright if you wish to double on guitar with it, though, those have a notch out in the mids that may not work that well for bass on their own. They are great for adding topend and "character" to a cab that already has bass speakers to play along with, like exchanging one or two bass speakers in an 810 for a Mod or 2.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Deltas would work fine as well, I'm just thinking Alphas, Betas and Mod's to keep the cost down. Betas being the bassiest of the bunch.

10. Yeah, Beta's would be the better bass speaker, but I actually want to limit the amount of deep bass I throw out of the cabinet since the chassis and tubes are right there coupled to it and will rattle like a mug. This is definitely going to be a bass-limited bass amp, but that's alright. I'm only going to break it out when I jam with guys on acoustics, or for noodling on my bass in the den. No need to rattle the walls with it, and the original speakers were kinda cheap-o's, so I figured I'd stay in the vein.

Rock,
    Chris

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, the mod50's actually sound very similar to the stock bassman 10 speakers.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They might. I thoight it pretty much sucked for bass, but I was trying to gig with mine. Albeit in a relatively tame 3-piece blues band it still couldn't cut it. Sounded good at livingroom/backporch volumes though.

OP, check the condition of the cabinet as well. Mine was made out of that glued together sawdust, "heavy cardboard" sort of stuff. Need to rotate the speakers to screw down into some fresh wood. Probably needs lining and a couple sticks of front-to-back bracing as well.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not trying to dump on it too much, it does have a really nice sound. I just couldn't make that sound loud enough for what I was trying to do. You talking about playing in your den, or inviting some friends over for a "in-the-house" volume jam, it'll sound really nice. For something like that, I might lean more towards the Mod50's because it'll make a nice doubler for bass and clean guitar. Throw something like an old Arion Tubulator, Boss Superoverdrive, or Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal...maybe in combination with an EH Holy Grail reverb pedal in between the guitar and amp, and you can get nice tone playing bass and guitar through the same Bassman10 amp for your house jams.

14. Yeah, not going for gig-volume at all with this thing. This is only for noodling around the house and kinda going for the original Bassman 10 sound.

When I need gig volume, I've got the rig in the video below, or the V4B with a B25B cab:

Rock,
    Chris

15. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I own one and I Love to practice/gig with it! Some gigs I use it on it is slightly underpowered if we have no PA support... but for the most part you can hit the sweet spot without blasting everyone else out of the room. I couldn't do that with my old SVT in the small rooms we played! I love a bit of tube distortion. Great amps!

16. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Theres a thread on here where a guy is refurbing one of those; he got a deal on some speakers, not sure which kind; those make great guitar amps btw...

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021