1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1972 Fender P bass... $1649 shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Spiritfield, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    For sale: 1972 Fender P bass. This is a “player’s bass” and not a super collectible museum quality Fender. That being said, it is ONE HECK of a “player’s bass”!

Serial number 327236. B width neck, heel dated “5 July 72 B”. Rosewood fretboard and a lightly flamed neck. Tort pickguard. It has the correct long G intonation screw and grey bottom pickups stamped “9401”. Weighs in at 8lbs 11oz. on my digital fish scales.

The bass came to me with the 3 tone sunburst stripped/sanded off. It was done a long time ago when such a thing was popular and the sanding softened some of the body contours (see pics). I played it that way for several years but I always wanted to return it to sunburst but I didn’t want the refin looking “brand new”. The neck and hardware have that natural patina of age and I wanted to match it. I had John Scott at Bluesman Vintage Guitars (www.bluesmanvintage.com) do the refin of the body in nitro, lightly age it to match the existing patina and set it up.

It came back and exceeded my expectations.

The pics in the link below show some before shots as well as how it looked when it came back from Bluesman Vintage. The bass now has a little more wear to the buckle rash area on the rear of the body, but other than that looks the same. The incorrect control knobs shown in the pics are what came on the bass when I bought it but since then I have replaced them with vintage Fender control knobs off of a ’68 P bass. The original strap buttons are included rather than the strap locks in the pics. The pickup cover and bridge cover seen in several of the pics are not included in the sale. The tug bar is a repro item, all the rest is original. Please see the pics.

A period correct Fender tolex hard case is included; it has the orange fur interior. The lining is coming down in a couple of areas and there are tears, nicks, gouges, etc to the exterior. The case is rough but it is correct. This is one of the nicest Fender P basses I’ve ever owned. I will definitely miss this one but need to move it out.

$1649 shipped in the lower 48 for a cash price.

I might be interested in a partial trade + cash on your end if you are looking to trade up. Possible trade bait are 2008 (and up) Fender P’s, Ernie Ball/MusicMan Sterlings (the US made basses), Lakland Skylines (P’s or J’s) or G&L’s. No five strings. I’m looking to generate some cash primarily so keep that in mind.

Thanks for looking-

Click here for '72 P bass pics

IMG_7249.
    IMG_7250.
    IMG_7275.
    IMG_7257.
    IMG_7254.
    IMG_7260.
    IMG_7015.
    PA260034.
    PA260020.
    IMG_7009.
    IMG_7265.
    IMG_7256.

2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Holy crap thats nice! I bet its gone by tomorrow....if I only had a bit more cash or you were looking for a booteek stratocaster.

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    This one is tempting - espescially because it's dated on my 2nd birthday!

4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Is the hardware original too (covers, pickguard, etc)?

5. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Pickguard is original; the covers are not and are not included in the sale. Bridge is original, knobs are vintage and correct but not original to this bass. Tuners, string tree, neck plate, pickup are all original as well. I believe the pots to be original. Tugbar is not original- it is a recent Fender marketed part.

6. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Where you stay in Jawja, brohiem?

7. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Dublin, GA

8. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA

I'm just 20 or 30 minutes away, in Warner Robins. I'll start workin' on the wife tomorrow. :bassist:

9. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    You drive faster than I do! lol!
    Takes me a little longer to make that trek but yeah, we're practically neighbors :)

10. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    SPF to a nice guy from Chilly ND.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.