1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1972 Jazz bass for sale/trade

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by birminghambass, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I truly never thought I would let it go. Bought in 1994 I am the second owner. Great example of a lightweight vintage Jazz. The tone is one I've never been able to reproduce with any other wood/pickup combo in a jazz. Very defined mids and top with no hiss. Neck plays great, no bows, dips, etc. I reserve the right to come to my senses and pull the ad as I reeeeeeeally love this bass. Unfortunately IRS, divorce debt has me needing the cash.

Notes of interest:
    1. I can't find the original screws for the thumbrest. I know they're around so I'll keep digging.
    2. The pickups have been unsoldered and resoldered a few times. The bridge volume pot has some unoriginal solder globs on the back. The output jack has been replaced because the original was getting scratchy. I still have the original.
    3. The lollipop tuners are 100% original. I was told these were NOS from early CBS days. This was from the first owner and from a few vintage gurus who agreed.
    4. OHSC in great shape.
    5. Bridge saddles may or may not be original. I honestly cannot remember. If I did swap them out, it was 10+ years ago. Chrome covers were lost by original owner.
    6. Weighs 9.4lbs.

Will post pics tonight. FYI it's black/maple/black blocks. (A real Geddy)

Not sure where to start on price so I'll say $3200. Any trade would be for a Fenderish or Modulus bass plus at least $1000 cash.

2. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

lollipop tuners arrived in 1966 and didn't stick around very long, never imagined they could come stock on a '72...on the other hand, they're worth a lot more

3. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The bass player for The Beastie Boys has the same tuners on the same bass, 72' black/maple. They are definitely Fender and the original owner said they were on it when he bought it new. At the time it make any difference to me so I can't imagine why he'd fabricate the story. I've actually considered selling the loaded body and just keeping the neck because of how rare it is.

4. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Just checked a couple reliable (as close as you can be anyway) sources and the latest date listed was 1970 on the paddle tuners, so it's not unreasonable that they could have been laying around 2 more years. I never meant to imply they weren't Fender, only that their introduction in 1966 means they were an innovation (making tuners in house instead of outsourcing) of the CBS corporation.

5. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

...although if the first owner and a few vintage gurus were wrong about Sentence 2 of Note 3. then it seems possible that they could also be wrong about Sentence 1

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    FWIW- I had a 71 w/ lollipops.

7. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    That was my bad. Obviously it's not pre CBS, I meant early CBS. Fixed! I gotta mind my p's and q's with all the Fender historians around here.

8. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

looking forward to the pics, tried finding a pic of MCA's bass but could only find a rosewood fb bass (although also with paddles)

9. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I know that he is playing a jazz with blocks on the inside of Check Your Head. I'll have to get my copy out.

10. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I disassembled it for pics. Will put it all back together tomorrow and take some more.

jazz1.
    jazz13.

11. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    jazz32.
    jazz37.

12. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    jazz40.
    jazz47.

13. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    jazz49.
    jazz50.

14. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    jazz8.
    jazz6.

15. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    ttt

16. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    PM sent with trade offer.

17. Oh my...:eek:

18. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    replied....

19. sfbabali

sfbabali

May 11, 2009
    France
    OMG
    This is "near" mint...
    good luck with it ^^

20. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I would hesitate to call it near mint. Then again I'm not one of those "it's mint except for scratches, paint chips, etc..."
    I think the pics show the flaws pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.