1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1972 P Bass Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by estesbass, Mar 13, 2013.

1. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Hi everybody,

I need help on this!

So my 72 P Bass has an electronic buzz...the kind that will get better/worse depending on where you are facing, or whether there are dimmer lights etc. It's actually quite bad.

I had the guys at Corner Music replace the pots, jack, etc - hoping that would fix it. Still there. I even swapped out the pickup for an Aguilar, which didn't fix it. A different sounding buzz, but still just as bad.

I don't doubt that they are doing good work at Corner Music, but the buzz still won't go away, and I feel like all of the variable have been explored.

I would blame it on my cable/preamp/etc., except for the fact that I plug in my Mike Lull P Bass, and it is dead quiet. I even plug in my Squier P Bass and it is dead quiet.

Am I missing something? I put the original pickup back in, which sounds the best, but the buzz is unbearable.

2. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Sounds like a shielding issue, is the bass shielded?

3. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, as far as I can tell...maybe I need additional or better shielding?