1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1973 Fender Jazz. Is there anything wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks good to me. Missing bridge saddle screws may be easy to replace.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Ok one thing risky about this thread is that you now your turned how many other TB-ers on to this :bag:

Don't worry I'm not bidding...

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    73 would be a 4 bolt neck. That would be either a late 74 or 75.

5. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Will bridge saddle holes bring the price of a '73 J THAT LOW??????????

6. I'd be shocked if the price didn't triple before bidding ends. That said, the closeup of the bridge PU makes me wonder if the PU itself is a replacement or the route has been monkeyed with- looks a bit sloppy...

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Three bolt necks made their debut in late 1973 :)

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    refinish to natural? non-original pups? worn frets?

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    That extra large bridge pickup route is not uncommon on mid 70s Jazz basses. I'd say it's original.

10. Interesting. I guess it doesn't look so much *sloppy* as a bit oversized. I'd certainly jump it if it were BIN for $650 or so.

11. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    It looks even bigger, because the pickup is not centered in the pickup route. I would want to see pics of the bottoms of the pickups before pulling the trigger. IMO, the original pickups are a very big part of the 70s Jazz bass sound -- 60s too.

12. Ragist

Ragist

Mar 4, 2009
    omg? only 2 hours left and still that price??

13. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    That one looks like a twin to my '75.............I'll be interested to see what it finally brings. :bassist:

14. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    It's pretty beat up, nothing that another $200 bucks of work cant fix. Think used car.....

15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    It looks original and complete from the photos. Probably just needs a new set of strings and a few bridge screws. Someone may get a steal/deal on this one.

16. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Looks great, price is nice... looks proper Road Worn!

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have a CAR '73 (I'm pretty sure)...it's a 4-bolt with a higher serial number (425xxx) than the one he is posting in ebay for that Bass...

EDIT - I had originally thought that mine was a '74, but read somewhere that they stopped making the Candy Apple Red finish at the end of 73, and didn't bring it back until a few years later...

18. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    What year were pearl/maple FBs introduced?

Not a very good grain match on the body.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    CAR was indeed run from 63-73, Remember just because they stopped that color in 73 doesn't mean Fender didn't assemble the bass until 74! 3 bolt necks started in 1973. click here and go to jazz bass. http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

20. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Obviously no one who is knowledgeable would pay "collector" price (several thousand $) for this bass without first seeing the neck heel marking, the neck pocket marking, pickup windings & markings, tone & volume pot markings, etc.

But if you are reasonably sure the parts are genuine Fender, regardless of their particular vintages, what you have here is a well-worn parts bass for less than $1000. It might need a fret job. Heck, the truss rod might be broken, for all you know. But the parts themselves, IF ORIGINAL, are probably worth the $1,000 price tag. To a collector, that is.