1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1973 Fender Precision Bass restoration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 70spbase, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 70spbase

70spbase Fender/Ampeg for over 30 years!Portaflex #449 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Hey everybody! Happy New Year! I've been doing some work on a '73 P bass I picked up a while ago. This one had a most interesting hum bucker (think Les Paul) installed right in the no man's land. Really light alder body too! Thank God it wasn't too bad of a route. So I started by leveling the route flat , so I could fit a piece in there. Then used something called Z poxy to hold it in place. Then sealed the block in with a coat or two of Z poxy before sealing the whole body in a few coats of a waterbed sanding sealer. Mixed up some white primer sealer and then poly sealed before shooting three coats of a nitro LPB version that I felt looked accurate. Aged it a little bit with a tinted lacquer coat before three coats of polyurethane similar to what Fender may have done. Let it sit for about a month so far. Hoping to wet sand this weekend and maybe polish. But I'll probably put another coat of poly just to get more of a bowling ball finish to be more accurate. It's cool how the color changes in lighting. IMG_9706.JPG IMG_9713.JPG IMG_7859 2.JPG IMG_7884 2.JPG IMG_7883.JPG IMG_7878.JPG IMG_7872 2.JPG IMG_7864 2.JPG Before and after pics...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    UnDoNe, SpiceMan68, Gluvhand and 11 others like this.
  2. Picton

Picton Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Very nicely done. Love the color.

70spbase likes this.
  3. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thanks!

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Niiiice!

70spbase likes this.
  5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Great work, that colour is fantastic.

70spbase likes this.
  6. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thank you. First time mixing LPB. Wasn't sure if it would look like a real one. But judging by all of the ones floating around the internet it's as close as I can get by eyeballing the shade.

Doctor J likes this.
  7. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Very cool! Looks as if the body was rounded a bit too (especially at the horns), or do my eyes and the pics deceive me?

8. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    It is stock round-over as far as I can tell. Probably just the angle of the pictures. It wasn't sanded on the horns. There was some discoloration from the previous owners stripping job. The original color may have been sunburst but it was a few other colors since and with that pickup hole I didn't have the proper grained wood for a sunburst match.

9. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Sweet, nice job on saving an old bass!

70spbase likes this.
  10. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Nice job - it looks great!!!

70spbase likes this.
  11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Please continue the journey and share. :)

70spbase likes this.
  12. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    So I aged it a bit. Amazing how amber changes the color to a slightly green hue. Totally making the blue look lighter! I also sprayed a dusting of poly then one heavier coat. Letting it dry for a couple days then wet sand 600 to knock it down. Then I'll spray another heavy coat , let it dry a couple days then 800, 1000, buff it to a shine............ hopefully. IMG_7924.JPG IMG_7925 2.JPG IMG_7922 2.JPG IMG_7921 2.JPG

13. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    IMG_8090.JPG IMG_8091.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8088.JPG

Finished the '73 Lake Placid blue. Good weight and tight neck pocket, strong 11.4K
    pickup and smooth medium action. 8.6# comfortable balance.