Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1973 Fender Precision Bass - Trade for Jazz?

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Johnny Alien, May 29, 2003.

1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I just wrote a really long post that got deleted so this will be the shorter version and post any questions you may have.

* 1973 Fender Precision Bass
    * Black -Most likely a refinish but a very old one judging from the amount of checking and wear. I believe it to be black sprayed directly over the original natural finish.
    * Pickup and electronics replaced/non-original. I acquired it with a replacement EMG and changed that to a 2001 or 2002 American Stnadard Precision pickup. Sounds great!!
    * Straplocks installed
    * Missing chrome pickup and bridge covers as well as the original thumbrest. I have a newer replacement if you would like it.
    * Neck and tuners all original. Neck is straight and in very good condition. "B" width and thick from front to back. The headstock has ambered (typical of 70's Fenders...they used a different finish on the headstock than the rest of the neck)
    * Original neck plate, screws, etc.
    * Natural relic finish, played well because it has tons of tone.
    * Not the heaviest but not the lightest.

I'm interested in a jazz bass. Post what you have and are willing to trade. I will take all the needed photos and send then to anyone that has an offer that appeals to me. I'm not positive I want to trade this bass but I really feel I need a jazz in the arsenal. If anyone has a jazz with a Precision neck I am really interested!!

2. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I guess people love their jazzes way too much to trade!! :)

3. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    BTW this doesn't have to be a vintage jazz or anything. I hope I did not give off that vibe.

4. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    pm?

5. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I decided just to sell this outright and sent it off to ebay. If anyone from here is interested I will sell it for $800 shipped and fully insured with a HSC (non-original). This is $100 less then what is listed on ebay. If you are interested PM me and I will end the auction early. Photos and full description are found here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543373613&category=38079&rd=1

Paypal only.

6. i got a dean hollywood Z i might be able to trade. early 80s and all original electronics.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a mia jazz...lets talk

steve

8. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    My GAS for a jazz has passed since playing a few of my friends' jazzes and realizing (once again) that the P bass is the bass for me. Anyway I ended up with another P and this one has to go on the chopping block.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Was extra routing done for the battery? Or was the battery just stuffed into the original control compartment?

10. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The battery was in the original route. No extra routing was done.

11. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I have no idea how accurate this is, but my bathroom scale weighed it in between 9 and 10 lbs which seems correct to me.

It's not the heaviest bass I've ever had and it's not the lightest.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think you need a jazz and a p-bass..;)
    you know just to cover all the sounds..

steve

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    pics

heres some pics to win ya over....

steve

14. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    interested in either a reverend p-j or modded usa jazz deluxe?