1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1973 Gibson EB-4L Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, May 11, 2010.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    A friend of mine has what looks like to me an SG style type bass. There is no label on headstock stating it is a real Gibson and I couldn't find any serial # on it. He said he bought it used 10+ yrs ago. He says it's a 1973 Gibson EB4-L bass with a quad-coil pickup (coil and series/parallel switching and a tone choke), that lets you to go from bright and thin to fat and low. He says it's a long scale 34.5" where most of the Gibsons at that time were short scale (?). Maple neck, mahogany body and stained to match. Comes with original case. He also adds that "According to figures cited from "Gibson shipment totals" by Larry Meiners there were a total of 1066 of the model ever produced." Before I go back and talk to him more about it I'd like to know what you guys think. I can take some pics and post 'em. Thanks

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Cool instrument!
    I had one back a few years ago that I paid about $650 for. It was worth the money but, If you were to purchase it, I'd upgrade the bridge to one of those new Hipshot deals.
    The plastic saddles are garbage, it was impossible to intonate properly and you cannot set individual string heights which leads to volume discrepancies. Also the neck will hit the hit the floor if you let go of it (all typical Gibson bass stuff).
    Positives are that it looks and sounds badass! Plus, I always thought that the neck felt great. The Hipshot bridge will fix most of the negative issues though.
    I wish I didn't sell mine.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    The EB-4L is the one SG-styled Gibson bass I'd love to add to my collection. Most desireable in my opinion.

kkaarrll likes this.