1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1973 P-bass, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I ran across a '73 P-bass in decent condition, and am thinking about picking it up. It appears to be all original, natural finish body with a maple fingerboard. Some buckle rash on the back and some discoloration around the strap button on the bottom of the bass. The neck is straight, frets are in great shape, original tuners.

What is current market on a '73 Precision? Not that I need another bass, but if it's going to appreciate in value as I enjoy playing it..........

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just bought a 1974 P bass that is all original for the same reason you did. Not really an investment, but they sound great, look great, will appreciate in value and I love playing it.

My '74 was owned by a guy that played in a band that had a couple of big hits in the late '70s to early '80's. Not that that impresses me, but he is using it in all the old band pics/videos so it can be easily be authenticated. It was just under $2k.

A 1973 would likely sell in the $1300-2000+ range depending on condition and it it is 100% original IMO. If it is really nice, it may approach the $3k mark. You see lots of 1973s on eBay and they range from $1000 to almost $4k but I don't think many of the $3500-4000 ones are selling unless they are perfect.

3. i have a 73 p sunburst w/ rosewood on a birdseye neck in fairly decent shape. i bought it 5 years ago for 1500 and was in guitarcenter last week and got offered 2500 for it by an older player. don't know if this helps. but i'd say that s good 73 should go between 1200-1800 depending on how original it is.

also 73 was tht last year for a lot of things

-last year with old pre cbs designs
    -last year of the finger rest on the bottom of the strings
    -last year the drilled through the body to run the pickup leads where as on 74 they just routed right through the top of the body

there are a few other things that fender stoped but o can't really remember them all i know is that i love my 73 and would never part from it.

ps if you get it put a set of flats on it...you won't be dissapointed.:bassist:

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the input guys. I played it unplugged and the neck is nice and straight and the bass is LIGHT. The covers are on the bass, so I couldn't get a good look at the bridge or pickup, but they appear to be original. The G-string tuner is missing the screw that goes into the tuning post, and the D-string tuner has a mis-matched screw in the same location. Otherwise the bass looked pretty decent.

I didn't notice a pronounced dead-spot in the usual location, and there was no fret buzz anywhere on the neck. I'm seriously leaning toward picking this one up.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

This is really important as some of the late '60s to early '70s Fenders can be 15lbs!!!!:confused:

Try playing a gig with that around your neck.:crying:

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    15 lbs!!! I've never felt a 15 lb fender...12 lbs? Yep, lots, but never 15.

If it's a light one and you like it, get it. M '72 P tips in at 7.5 lbs!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you get it, post pics. :)

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Bump to the top, to announce that I got it. I'll take some pics and post them tonight. I took the bass to a local GC to check it out and it absolutely smokes. Awesome warm, punchy tone and it plays really nicely even with old roundwound strings.

I know, I know, "no pics, no bass". Pics will be coming this evening.

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Blue Book on a '73 Precision ranges from $1000 for 'good' condition, $1500 for very good and $1800 for excellent. 'Mint' is $2500.

10. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Bump to subscribe! I wanna see pics too!