1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 Player FS/FT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by El Tookay, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nov. 73 Rickenbacker 4001, player, this one has had a pretty good run over the last 37 years. has a Badass 1 counter-sunk into the body with a chunk of brass underneath the front edge to fill in where the stock bridge rout is. The tuners were originally Grover box-backs, but were changed sometime during the early 80's to Grover Titans (the box-backs had a habit of coming apart at the most inopportune moment,like just before a show. The Titans are probably 30 years old). Other mods include a WD pickguard, changed tone caps (this year would've had the Sprague orange drops), changed mono output jack, changed strap buttons, and the orgiinal Belden wiring has been changed.

Also of note, is that at sometime, someone tried to re-topcoat the lacquer on the top. The lacquer is a low sheen, and you can't see that someone tried to sand it unless you hold it at the right angle in the light. In the bar, it looks all original. Also, there's a bit of a crack in the top behind the bridge, not structural or deep, just there.

The good news is much longer than the disclosure. Pickups are original, all pots date to 30th week of 1973, frets are original and in great shape with no gouges or divots, original switch, orig. nut, the truss rod nuts look like they have never been touched, and the neck is perfect. Action is stupid-low, weight is around 9 lbs, even with all that extra brass, lucite truss rod cover.

Sound? With the stock Rick strings on it right ow, the neck pickup does all the classic McCartney (Come Together), nails the tone Randy Meisner had on the Eagles' One of These Nights. Both on, it's Geddy. Bridge solo'ed get you into the Yes column. Both pickups are strong and even, the bass does not have any dead spots up and down the neck, no weird overtones. And it rocks like a mutha through a big tube rig.

Neck? Typical early 70's profile, 1-5/8 wide at the nut, really flat and thin around the back around the 5th fret, and stays that way the whole way up. Back of the neck has some weird figuring in the maple, but is all smooth.

Whew! Ships with a Voyager bag, sorry, no case, but packed for war. Outright sale is $1200 shipped to US 48 and Canada via FedEx Ground. Canadian buyers, I might be able to do a bit better on the shipping, which i will pass on. PAYPAL ONLY!

Sorry guys, can't do trade deals now.....

Attached Files:

2. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Two more...

Attached Files:

3. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Two more.

Attached Files:

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    That is one sweet Ric...wish I had money for another one!!!

5. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Trade list updated....

6. International?

:)

7. d of the wes

d of the wes

Aug 16, 2009
    NOOO! if only i my stingray was a 4 string, id will to trade mine for a ric

8. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    I'll ship international, but the buyer is responsible for the extra shipping costs/ taxes/ duties/ VAT. If you're cool with that, pm me.

9. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Bump. Can't do trades now, got something in the works...

10. Sent you à pm earlier! :)

11. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Pm sent

12. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bump for a great TB'er!

Still got the Sterling?

13. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the bump, Sterling went to JoshB in Cali, and then found it's way to gearhunter420. That bas has logged a lot of miles on I-5 :p.

The Rick has found a new home. Thanks to everyone for your interest and offers. Cheers, Craig/ El Tookay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.