1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale/Trade 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 (pre-transition) for sale or trade for V63

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PubliclyViewable, Jul 2, 2014.

1. PubliclyViewable

PubliclyViewable Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Price:
    $2800
    Strings:
    It's time...

What we have here is a VERY nice example of a mostly original pre-transition Model 4001.

THE GOOD:

-Finish is in supurb shape for being 41 years old!
    -Original inlays are amazing! Super-sparkly with no damage or chipping
    -Original frets in great shape - enough left for at least one more level/crown
    -Absolutely no joint separation
    -NO deadspots! All notes ring as you would hope.
    -Original Grover tuners/strap pins/all plastics/knobs/bridge in wonderful shape
    -Neck is straight as an arrow and very stable
    -I am only the second owner
    -Interestingly, the neck binding has the double-dots at the 7th fret, not the 12th! I'm positive that the binding and frets are original, as there is the binding overlap on the fret end - see picture (and also the notation in the control cavity...;))

THE CHANGED:

-Original owner had Bartolini pickups in the bass. Currently has a Hi-Gain in neck with toaster cover. I can install a Hi-Gain in bridge if you would like.
    -Wiring harness looks original, but the caps may have been replaced.
    -No bridge mute/mute screws
    -Previous owner had the strap pin relocated to lower horn as he was left-handed. I moved it back, so the mounting hole is visible.
    -No bridge pickup cover
    -Non-original (yet still Rickenbacker) hardshell case. It has seen better days; the bass is in much better condition than the case ;)

The only real issue is on the headstock crest, where it looks like the finish was marred and seems like some paint/stain (?) got under the clearcoat... see pictures. Doesn't create any actual problem, but worth noting.

I am interested mainly in either a straight sale, or only for a 1984-1992/3 V63, +/- cash where applicable.

Of course, please drop me a line with any questions!

$2800 shipped to conti-US

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    PMed!

3. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    PM your way

4. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    All PM's replied!

5. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    It looks as if we may have a trade closing, and I will close the thread when all is said and done. Thank you to everyone for the interest!

6. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    I have a nice 1968 Fender jazz bass i'll trade you for it!

7. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    I've wanted one ever since I saw the front cover of Grand Funk Railroad's 1970 s/t LP at 13 years old! But I may be confirming this trade quite soon ;)

8. PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    TRADED!