1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1973 Telecaster Bass on craigslist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

These are getting so pricy lately!

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    That's whyt I bought the Squier version of it.

4. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    mmm that bridgecover isn't the original one as far as I know. Isn't that ssupposed to be the bridgecover of a '51 p-bass instead of a pickupcover of a normal p-bass

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    yessir: wrong bridge cover.

funny how those have inflated over the last 5 years. they couldn't give them away when they were new.

6. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Remember when late '60s and early '70s Fender products were widely disparaged as "Post-CBS", and priced accordingly? And now they're "vintage", and priced accordingly. I guess all their "flaws" faded with age. (I wish my body did that.)

Reid

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't get me wrong...I have a 1972 model. It's nice and light, the neck is a dream...I replaced the pickup with a DrakStar (dropped right in, no routing required)...but seriously, 5 years ago, you couldn't give these away. Now they're worth $2500?

mmmm'kay.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, but a 70's Precision and Jazz still have the great and versatile tones to them just like any other Precision and Jazz Bass.

But these 72-78 mudbucker pickup Telecaster Basses never sounded good...then or now, which is suprising they're having that kind of value to them. They were called muddy for a reason, and required mods just to be heard clearly.

9. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I read you Chef, I recall when the Fender catalog had to stretch to make 5 pages!, your only choice was colors, and if you paid more'n $300 for anything Fender? you was robbed. What an age!

10. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I own a 72 as well. 3T burst with a nice playing Maple neck. I sure would like to see a pic of the darkstar in your bass :)

11. craiglist "ad has been deleted by it's author" . . . may as well CLOSE this thread Mods..

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    +1