1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1974 Fender Mustang Guitar - A School Closet Classic!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by peabody, Mar 16, 2010.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have for sale an all original vintage 1974 Mustang guitar. It has a cool black finish (which I have been told is a rare color), black pickguard and a rosewood board. It is a lightweight at 6.5 lbs on my bathroom scale. The only two minuses...I had to add a strap button to the top horn and I'm afraid the tremelo bar is MIA.

The serial number is 598661 and the pots are 1377451 and 1377438 respectively.

I bought it (along with a '74 Jazz) from a local high school. Apparently they were cleaning out a storeroom and found this Mustang (along with the Jazz) behind some tables. They are not sure how long they have been in this storeroom, but they are thinking at least 5 years....and probably more. They believe both were purchased new by the school district in the mid '70's.

The Mustang has seen it's use and has a couple of chips here and there, but with the exception of the one strap button, it is all original and comes with it's original silver case (with the name of he high school painted in small letters on the side...of course). The picture shows the case missing the strap that holds the neck in place, but I have had that fixed. Otherwise the case is in good shape and all latches work.

I had the guitar techs at Dave's Guitar Shop here in La Crosse, WI go through it and get it ready to go, so it is all set up and ready to rock (and roll).

Price is [DEL]$1100[/DEL] [DEL]$999 [/DEL] $899 shipped to the lower 48 payable via PayPal or a USPS Money Order. I am not opposed to shippng out of the US, so feel free to send me a PM or shoot me an e-mail me at peabody59@hotmail.com for a shipping quote. Also, I have plenty of pics, so just let me know if you are interested.

IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1573.gif

2. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Price drop to $999 shipped...

3. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Oh my gosh someone played a '77 Mustang last week at my church and it sounded amazing! If I played guitar I would play a Mustang. Bump for this fine guitar.

4. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Another drop....

$899 shipped.

The2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide has these listed at $1350 to $1450.

5. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    you should show that to casey at daves guitars he love those old ones

6. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Casey has seen it. It was kind of funny, with all of the high price vintage guitars that go through Dave's, when I opened the case to show them this one, all of the guys oohed and ahhed. It is a beauty....

IMG_1554.gif

7. You looking for any trades or straight sale?

8. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'd prefer a straight sale, but I've entertained a few trade proposals, and nothing has stuck yet. I learned a long time ago to never say never, so feel free to send stuff my way.

9. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I went into my local guitar shop today to check on the status of my Jazz (they hope to get to it today) and after a short conversation, I've decided to let them try to sell the Mustang in the shop with a consignment sale. They are thinking I should net about what I was asking (and maybe a little more), and they get to deal with the packing and shipping piece...which is okay by me. So I guess the Mustang is officially off the market...at least through me. You can probably check it out in a day or two on their website... http://davesguitar.com/ . Thanks for everyone's interest.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020