1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1974 Fender Precision Bass Mystery decal? Lawsuit? Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviebcrazy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. steviebcrazy

steviebcrazy

Jan 2, 2012
    Hey all, This is my first post as i usually find answers to most things on here..but this is leaving me baffled. Looking at purchasing a 1974 Precision.. I was able to disassemble it and the pots, pickups, neck/body stamp and serial on the plate all correctly date to 1974 (ish.. typical as we all know), but what really has me thrown is what appears to be "ELECTRONIC EQUALIZATION" written very faintly under the Logo and patents, under the finish. It's almost as if it was something Fender tried as a test logo, but didn't remove well enough.. OR its from a lawsuit bass that was re-decaled as a Fender and all the parts were changed to correct Fender 1974.

Anyone ever seen this logo situation before? I must have looked at hundreds of vintage P photos, and also tons of lawsuit P's and haven't seen it once. It's almost hologram like being under the finish like that and only if you tilt it in the light it shows..
    Thanks for any input !
    :help:

Attached Files:

2. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Looks like someone put the electronic decal on top, the clear coat aged, then they took it off.. Maybe?

3. Yeah, I agree. It looks like there was a decal there that was removed and the finish underneath never aged.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup agree also. That's what happens when a sticker is put on and creates a shadow.

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Aside from the headstock anomaly, that P bass looks fine. Could be an A neck?

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This is very interesting. I'm watching this.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep, that just a shadow from someone else's decal that was added later (fender didn't ever do that). otherwise, the bass appears correct.

8. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    This looks fishy..

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That looks almost like a vinyl sticker. Or a bad screen printing job.

Wait a second. Is that possible an AMP decal that someone put on there?

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Bass looks legit at a glance, but yeah, looks like someone added and removed that decal.

11. I've seen my share of lawsuits and haven't seen a decal that has "ELECTRONIC EQUALIZATION" on it.

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I wonder if someone added an active pickup at some point and the shop put that sticker on it. Then removed it when the original pickup was put back in. It I would think 15 years is enough time to cause that fade.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks legit. The sticker was probably added/removed after some time.

14. steviebcrazy

steviebcrazy

Jan 2, 2012
    Yeah my first thought was possibly a sticker fade, but it didn't make much sense, as far as 'cool guitar sticker mentalities' go, plus it being 74 and the use of 'whatever they had' at the time, thought maybe it was a 'canvas' or something at some point. Then again ive seen some funny stuff people have done to their gear in my day hehe!
    Since its flaking so bad on the edge i thought maybe once air got under there it revealed something somehow. Either way, its still a great P.. have one other one to look at then decisions decisions.. just want to be smart about it so thanks!
    Also, its a B neck, which is what i want..

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    How much they asking? That's a REALLY sweet bass.

16. Nick B.

Nick B.

Aug 11, 2009
    Canada
    Band name?