1974 Precision Bass for $450

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Well, I just came across another potential great deal on a vintage P bass. $450 for a 1974 in what appears to be decent condition:

1974 Fender Precision Bass

The seller says he's owned it for ages, with the intent of one day "restoring" it. But he's realized he'll never get around to it. He claims everything is original.

If the neck is ok this could be a STEAL.

He's got one guy coming to look at it tomorrow. I'm 2nd in line. Wish me luck!

2. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    good luck. man i can never find this kind of stuff when i have the money...:bawl:

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Wow!

4. looks like a really nice find if its for real . . . good luck!

5. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    This is the second time I've seen this bass pop up. I think the first time he wanted around 700 i of course I had no cash. This is an even better deal. Wow.

6. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Guard isn't original... but yeesh, it's $450!!
    If the neck is straight and the pickups work, I'd wipe the chunks off, string it up, and call the "restoration" complete. :D

Good luck, that looks like a real a score.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    good deal - considering the TR isn't screwed.

I'm going to pick up my 75 P that I got for $600 over the summer off CL from my tech today. Fingers crossed...of course...I'm sure if the TR was screwed on mine, he would've called to let me know about it...

I guess what I'm sayin is, deals CAN be had

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That's what I was thinking... not sure how much work it actually needs beyond a good cleaning and maybe a set-up.

If it's electronics and/or neck that's a different story but cosmetically that's about as good as you're gonna get for something of that vintage.

9. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Most folks in or around the Atlanta area usually want way more than the stuff is worth, this on the other hand looks to be a good deal. I guess this guy (like most of the others do in time) figured out it wasn't gonna bring what he wanted to begin with and dropped his price to a reasonable amount.
    Hope all turns out good and You score it. Looking forward to a potential resto-thread.

10. Man, '74 P bass at an MIM price... wow. Good luck Dan!

I'd talk to the guy and if you can get over there toinght I'd go with cash in hand. When I'm the seller I'll try to be accomodating, but it's first come, first served. The first one with cash (or paypal) in hand gets the goods. I've waited for people who never showed or who were obviously tire kickers and never intended to buy in the first place way too many times to pass a buyer with cash in hand. Call me ruthless if you like, I can live with it.

Send more pics WHEN you score it!

11. Well, I'm not getting my hopes up. If the first guy has half a brain he'll buy it. Even if the neck is completely shot, the body is well worth $450.

But I'll cross my fingers anyway!

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  13. Hmmmm. Weird. I wonder why in the world it wouldn't have sold back then for so cheap??

Like I said, even if the neck is useless the body alone would fetch $450. Even without electronics.

14. aztomr

aztomr

Oct 5, 2010
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Shouldn't 1974 be a three bolt neck?:bassist:

15. You're thinking of a Jazz bass.

16. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If I am correct, only Jazz basses had the three bolt neck..?

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    You are correct.

18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Weird indeed! Looks like a 74 p to me..natural ash, one piece maple neck, original tuners...:confused:

:eyebrow:

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    have someone follow you there.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yeah, i'd buy it, clean it up and flip it. $$$$$$$

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021