Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1974 Rick 4001 finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_man86, Jun 5, 2003.

1. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Help me out folks. I own a 1974 Rick 4001 that I originally purchased used. The previous (who must have an idiot) refinished the top of the bass and did a pretty poor job of it while he was at it. The finish on the back and sides is original aand it aged to a lovely french vanilla white color.

Anyway, it was originally white with black binding. I don't believe that the top was white because the pickguard is white as is the trussrod cover. I tried contacting Rickenbacker but they could not tell me. Any ideas what it might have been. I would like to restore it to original condition.

Thanks!

2. If the back and sides were white, then the top was white as well. It's possible that some previous owner replaced the black pickguard and truss rod cover with white ones. Rickenbacker offered swapping black pickguard and truss rod cover for white (and vice versa) as an option at various points, but I've never heard of them building basses where the top didn't match the back and sides.

Mike

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Thanks Mike. That actually sounds quite reasonable.

4. Glad to have helped a little bit, and best of luck with the restoration project!

Mike