1975 FENDER JAZZ BASS . Can't get lower action . Help !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gozan, Dec 13, 2001.

1. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    1975 fender Jazz bass . I cannot lower the action without serious buzzing after the 12 th fret. All parts are original . 3 bolt beck. Strings might be too thick or too old . Maybe needs new Bridge ,or replace neck . Simple truss rod adjustment , microtilt adjustment ?#... Strings are more than 6 months old .045 to 105. Please help.:confused:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well you just need a decent "Set Up" - hint hint !
    Most likely is that you need to adjust the truss rod and if this still doesn't get you a lower action, you couuld try the shim thing.

I would suggest that you look at the neck and see whether it's straight or bowed in any direction - there are detailed guidelines on: www.fender.com - I would suggest going through these step by step - look for Mr. Gearhead!

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The most common cause of your problem is too much relief in the neck. I would try a 1/4 turn tighten of the truss and then reset the action and intonation.

As a rule, high fret buzz (12+) equals too little relief
    low fret buzz (1-5) equals too much

Also, this thread should (and likely will soon) be moved to setup.

Chas

5. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    What is the "shim thing "?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That means trying to raise the neck as a whole by putting shims between neck and body.
    A lot of Fenders have necks that are set too low into the body joint, thus making low action hard to achieve, or even impossible.
    Our singer has a mid-70s Fender Jazz that has the same problem.

7. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    I sent the bass to the Luthier and confirmed that the neck at the body is too low. Either by tilt adjustment or shim . Saddles at thier lowest and action was still very high. Also D'DAARIRO strings are not best for versatility on this bass. Adjustment being made with fresh set of KEN SMITH nickel MEd. guage strings. Will get results in a few days .

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 3 bolts have a micro tilt adjustment.