1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1975 Fender Jazz questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrandonA119, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Doing a little research on an upcoming purchase.

1. Fullerplast....What is it? What does it do?

2. 75' used what kind of woods for the body?

3. 3 bolt neck plate...for what? How is it better than a 4 bolt neck plate.

4. Any reason why the neck pup is routed in a curve at the top and bottom and the bridge pup isn't?

Thanks!!!

2. Fullerplast is a sealer/undercoat, it's milky white. Fender started using it on their guitars back in the 60's.

heres an article that talks about it, search in it for "fullerplast":
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

3. For # 3, the third bolt near the center of the pocket I think is a "Micro-tilt". It was used to set the pitch or angle of the neck so that you wouldn't have to use a shim.

4. In 75' was there an option for ash or alder?

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    by '75 almost all of them were heavy hard ash.

6. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    I have a '78. It sounds and plays great but Im not a fan of the 3 bolt/ micro tilt neck. That design coupled with the inconsistant neck pocket routing of that era make for a very weak neck connection that has a tendency to shift out of alignment quite often.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    My 76 weighs 9 pounds and I had a 75 that weighed closer to 8. No need to be surprised though, as this very objective trait can easily be measured before purchase with a common scale, no? Other than that, some people -- even a few really good players here on TB -- actually prefer the heavy 70s Fenders. btw, someone over at the Fender Forum kept a spread sheet with a bunch of 70s Fender bass weights, and most of them actually weighed 10 pounds or less -- the really heavy ones are concentrated in the late 70s (78-80).

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I haven't had any problem with 3 bolt Fenders or 3 bolt early Stingrays.