1975 Fender Precision: Some questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a '75 P.

The decal seems to be out of place and a part of it is (gone) under the G string peg. Have you guys ever seen anything like this?

Is the decal period correct?

What's worth a 75 P, natural/maple with replaced nut and pots? it's also pretty beat up, but fully functional.

TIA

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    see attached pic, please.

attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That looks good to me and yes I have seen others with the decal placed like that.

As to value I personally would not pay more that about $1000 for one in that condition as long as it had the original pups but again I must reiterate that is just my opinion.

4. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    The decal looks fine to me. The pic makes me suspect its an A neck, which would bump its value a bit. But not knowing the condition of the rest of the bass, its hard to say what the value is, but I'd say certainly no more than $1500.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hey Fran. The decal looks period-correct to me. Here's a pic of my '75. I also looked in "The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History". They have pics of some '75s. One of them looked to have part of the word "Bass" slightly under the G peg. So I wouldn't really worry about that.

As far as price/value, I have no idea what they're going for now.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Your 75 looks like the twin of my 76.

P1000747.png

P1000742.png

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sure does! They both look to be in excellent condition. Mine's not totally original though. I think the P/G was originally white. Somebody changed it to a cheap-looking tort before I got it around '95. A friend had a black one, but the holes were on the tug bar side rather than the thumb rest side. Other than that, it's original and in great shape. Yours looks great too...

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Yours does look amazing I must say. Mine was purchased in 83 or 84 as my first bass (started out as a gui****). It has the original case, covers, pup, pickguard, pots, nut, tuners, etc. It really is in great shape with very little wear but it doesn't get much play time anymore.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Both of your P's look great.

The neck is 1 5/8" which is something that I prefer over the A neck. My Sadowsky PJ has a 1 3/4" neck and I love it.

10. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Anytime, do post some pics of it if you have some.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread.

I agree completely.

11. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Not to hijack the OP`s thread, but since we`re on the subject of 70`s Fenders and worth, can I pose a question without starting the gazillionth thread ? I`ve run across a `73 Jazz. `Burst, maple blocked. All - original with case, covers, etc. And it is the best - looking closet queen I`ve ever seen; original owner. He`s asking $3500 obo. Seems awful steep, but it really is in stunning shape. Opinions ? Thanks OP ! Awesome P`s, BTW !

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    You can hijack it anytime, as long as you post a photo of a nice bass ;)

this is the one:
    FenderPrecisionBass_1975_01.gif

FenderPrecisionBass_1975_00.gif

FenderPrecisionBass_1975_02.gif

13. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That is at the high end but it is not out of line for one in that kind of condition. If it were me I would offer him $2700 and negotiate up to $3000 from there.

14. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    It looks like a player for sure, I would definitely rock it. $1000-$1300 here would be a good price unfortunately I do not know what the market is like in Spain (I adore Spanish cuisine by the way).

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I offered $2700 and he balkled. I was afraid to offer any more than that without consulting my TB bros.

16. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Did he even counteroffer?

17. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    No, just said he couldn`t take that for it.

18. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'm buying it from the US so I have to add shipping+taxes. I'll make an offer and see what happens.

thanks again, guys.

19. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Fran, I wouldn`t call it "beat - up" - I call it beautiful !

20. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

I agree. It looks great!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021