1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1975 Gibson "The Ripper"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by squarewave, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    SOLD for 7 hundred and something.

Check out "The Ripper". It has its share of dings, scrapes, rubs, chips, dents, pitting, oxidation, wear, and aging, but it appears to be 100% original. It's an awesome bass.

The truss rod, tuners, and bridge all work as they should. The frets have significant wear. The bass plays fine as-is, but with some attention to the frets, it would be like playing a new Ripper.

The electronics are really cool, including a 4-way rotary switch that gives different combinations of pickups in both series and parallel, and a serial out-of-phase setting. The master volume and 2 tone controls work as designed.

The bass is remarkably light. It weighs 8lb-4oz. Presumable, this one is made of alder. The fingerboard is ebony.

The original case is included. Other than one bent hinge (repairable), it is in very good condition. It has no funky smells or pet-hair issues. It is plush and purple on the inside- as were the '70's.

The original warranty card is included. It hasn't been filled out. It indicates that you have 10 days from the date of purchase ;-)

The price is $825 plus actual shipping. Check out my feedback. PM or post any questions. Nice comments and bumps are always appreciated.

null_zps76ee4327.

null_zps5b46c24d.

null_zps3c0434f4.

null_zpsb74a4606.

null_zps72e6abd4.

null_zps75e0ab40.

null_zps7af56a86.

null_zps106aa337.

null_zpsb0983c27.

null_zpsd790e8c0.

null_zps62c27664.

null_zps41dea49e.

null_zps5fa52ad4.

null_zpsf4aa33a6.

null_zps7e0e21a6.

null_zps2ad02802.

null_zpsaa144edd.

null_zps1e7e2d98.

null_zpsfaed38a3.

null_zps0af5e8d1.

null_zpsbef2552d.

null_zps4681ed2c.

null_zps3107be7e.

null_zpsab111b50.

null_zps146fd490.

2. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Sep 15, 2009
    trades???

3. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    No trades at this time.

It was just pointed out to me that the bridge saddles do not appear to be original. Notice how the shoulders of the saddles do not rest on the bridge. This miss-fit allows them to lean. I understand that the original saddles have a slightly different geometry.

I noticed that one of the tuner ferrules (trim around the post) is slightly shinier than the other three, so it might not be original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.