1976 EARTH Travler Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Finished this rehab today. Looks and sounds fantastic. 45 watts RMS with 1-12 and lush, lush reverb.

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1205.JPG IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Reminds me of my old PV TNT 100

Lvjoebass, Joedog and Oren Hudson like this.
  3. My first band's sound system was an Earth. After mic'ing four singers of a Beach Boys tribute band through a Fender Twin Reverb and then going to a 4 channel PA, we were in heaven.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yeah, they were pretty much identical to period Peaveys.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Ah yes, I remember the days of using our guitar amps as PA too. That might be a bit more difficult now days with so many single channel single jack amps. Our first good PA was a Univox in the early 70s.

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Beautiful work!

Oren Hudson likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks BE. I didn't go into much detail on it, but it was a near basket case when I got it about 6 weeks. It worked, but had issues. Ground wire had been cut off (so typical in the 70's), one jack was broken, the fuse was not in the proper holder and should have been blowing, missing screws, 2 missing amp corners, missing back panel, speaker plate was crumbling away due to particle board getting wet, dirty pots, and the cab had been painted with something that never cured and was sticky like fly paper. Had the original speaker, but it was worn out, so I put it in storage and installed a fairly new Jensen MOD speaker. Lots of work, but something that I love doing, particularly with a nice sound and finish. :)

S-Bigbottom and BadExample like this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I love restoring anything. Last thing I did like that was what I'd call more of a face lift on a pair of PA wedges. Had scuffs and skin tags all over them and some rust on the grills. I glued down the tags, painted the spots where the white backing showed through with black rustolium plastic paint, rubbed in some silicone based automotive plastic restoration stuff, and painted the grills hunter green. I had hope for looking good from 10 ft away, but they look good much closer than that. Came from a DJ friend, and I think one had been barfed on. Nice relaxing work and it sure pays off. $100 for a nice looking 12" PA with amp. Joe is such a good guy I bought it sight unseen. He told me they looked thrashed but worked well. I expected worse.

9. Nice work. What did you use to get the paint off the cab? How about the grille cloth? looks like a new amp!

Oren Hudson likes this.
  10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks. I was going to try and strip it, but that would have taken a ton of time and created a very gooey mess. So since I was gluing the new tolex, I figured that stickiness from the paint would just act as more glue. I did belt sand one section because of some real rough spots, but no problems. The grill cloth is the original. I cleaned it real good. Spread a layer of black shoe polish on it and then later topped it off with a soaking of Armor-All. :)

nuhckes8 likes this.
  11. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    I have an old particle board cab that has swollen panels due to moisture. What do you think would do a better job at hiding that sort of damage: tolex or carpet? I hate carpet btw.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    The particle board was limited to the speaker baffle on this one, so I didn't have to cover any of it. It was so crumbly, so I filled in some deep spots with wood putty. I then put a coat of shoe polish over it. After that dried, I took hairspray and gave it several coats to help it stay put. Like you, I don't care for carpet either, but I think it might hide the bulges better, IMO.

13. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    You could (depending on where and how severe it is) remove the compromised particle board and replace it with wood putty and epoxy.

Sorry for derail, back to the regularly scheduled praise for one sexy restore job.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  14. Westsailor

Westsailor

Dec 12, 2009
    That looks awesome! Extra points for a restoration using 'DIY' materials (shoe polish, etc.)

Oren Hudson likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Did Peavey ever sue those guys? This is a total ripoff of the Peavey 400B...did Uli Behringer work for them? :roflmao:

earth-sound-research-440-bass-head-82880.jpg

400-series-jpg.jpg

16. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
    That looks great, brings back great memories. We used to have a music store that carried the Earth line and it seemed like every band in the area had some kind of Earth Gear, P.A., amps etc.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  17. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    One source says yes, but settled. Earth also did a tuck and roll clone of Kustom as well'

18. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks. Nothing like the feeling of those great memories for we older thumpers. ;)

Westsailor and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021