1976 Fender P-bass EC for $1599 (how to bargain)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 13, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is a 1976 Precision Bass with a Natural Finish and Rosewood Board at my local Guitar Center for $1599. Naturally, I know this price is way too much and unreasonable. Its in great condition for its age, looks like all the parts are original. The electronics seem to be alittle loose. My plan is to try and talk them down since the assistant manager is really cool with me and all. I'm wanting to mod it, put in a Duncan QPB-3 pickup, a Ravens Lab P-retrofit preamp, a black pearl pickguard and a Leo Quan BA Bridge. No, I don't plan on selling it, so I'm not concerned about resale value. The bass has been there since the store opened, last April. What do you think I try to talk them down to.

2. I'd say start asking for about maybe $800, then if he doesnt accept (which he probably wont) gradually go higher.
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Don't GC employees get commission? Wait til the end of the month and see if he needs to meet a quota...
  4. Offer him $1000.00 even, if he doesn't take, go somewhere else!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    70s Precisions are plentiful and if you are going to mod it anyway, then you don't care if the parts are original. The way buyers end up getting screwed on price is when they get attached to ONE bass and dicker for it rather than just finding another one that has the right price in the first place.

Good luck!
  6. Ditto to what Brian said.

Have you played it yet? The reason I ask, is that in 1976 I bought a 1975 Precision brand new. Long story short: It was a lemon. Not a drop of warmth in the thing, the body (natural) started to turn green in several spots after about a year, and the neck was beginning to twist.

I'm not saying that the bass you're looking at will be half as bad, I'm just trying to say that just because it's old, and not Pre-CBS, doesn't mean it will sound any better than any other Fender.

Put on your best poker face. If the salesguy sees that you're really interested in it, he won't come down that much. ;)

Good luck.

7. If you are gonna mod it that much why limit yourself to this particular 70's Pbass. You can find a nice and solid newer Pbass for much less $$$...

8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I dont know why I want a 1976 Natural/Rosewood P-bass, but it has to be. Its just one of those nagging things that you dont know what you want. I've played it on a couple of occasions. The neck feels great, alittle dirty on the top, but smooth. The only parts I don't see original are the strap buttons which were changed to Dunlop, which just happens to be what I use anyway. So if I were gonna tak the plunge on this, I should try to aim for $1000ish?

9. Patrick, I wouldn't go any higher than $1000.00, if you REALLY want it.

Sometimes there is no price limit as to what a person will pay when they really want something.

I am suggesting that, the bass in question is not worth more then $1000.00 as far as value for resale.

Hope this is helpful.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For about $960.00 I bought a brand new 2002 P-Bass MIA.

I know that there are crucial differences between new and a Pre-CBS, or other classic Fender makes. But, if you are going to modify it, why not get one that feels good, is brand new, the color you want, and an bass that wasn't somebody else's first instrument (or experiment).

Plus, I like my bass more than the "classic" ones I declined to purchse for reasons similar tothe ones stated above, and you can't beat the condition.
  11. Personally I wouldn't go more than $800. Gruhn Guitars www.gruhn.com sometimes has mid to late 70's in stock, and usually they are in the 700 to 800 range.

Gruhn seems to have a pretty fair representation of market value, IMHO.
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The thought of getting a new MIA P-bass has crossed my mind, but I find myself comin back to wanting a 1976 P-bass. If anyone saw New Found Glory on Conan O'brien two years ago, Ian Grusha was using a MIA P-bass with Natural finish and Rosewood board, Duncan QPB-3 Pickup, Leo Quan Bridge, and black pearl pickguard. Since I saw that bass, I've been wanting a one like it but a 1976. I looked at that on for $450, but its a maple board and I want just a single pickup.