Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1976 Fender Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Apr 13, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Would $750 dollars, be a good price for a 1976 fender pbass in really good condition. Should i do a little haggling?

2. Well, it never hurts to haggle a bit!

From what I've seen, $750 is not a bad deal for a bass of that vintage especially if it sounds good and is in good shape. My first pro instrument was a new 1976 P bass bought in 1976. I would kill for that instrument now. And I would also pay $750 to get it back. I would caution you to play it first - to the point that you are satisfied with it's tone and construction. The mid 70's aren't known as some of Fenders greatest years but like most things, there were good versions along with the less-than-stellar. Also, give it a complete checkover for things like originality of parts or alterations. Compare serial #'s with the published lists to make sure that it hasn't been "assembled" from Fender parts and called a '76.

By the way, if it has an all maple neck, it would be a premium and worth a bit more than a rosewood.

Hope this helps

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Where could i get these "lists"

4. Slacker that I am, I don't keep them on the "Faves" list. I usually do a search every time I need one.:D But there is definitely one on the Fender Site as well as other dedicated Fender pages.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Is this specific to Fender's, or does it apply most generally to other basses such as MM, G&L, etc. ?

All the best,

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im in the process of repairing a 1975 P-Bass for one of my customers, natural color, maple fingerboard.
    Guess how much he payed?
    $100
    He got it from a guy who wanted to get rid of that "old piece of crap... "

:)

I put fresh strings, raised the pickups, tweaked the action/truss rod.. BANG, Real Fender Punch!

The finish on the neck is completely wrecked, but I sand it down until it was completly even without getting into the wood.

It was also all covered in disgusting stickers wich I removed with Goo Gone.

Serial Number: #624667 , It has the F logo on the neckplate.

Im getting a Black Shell pickguard and replacement "covers" for the bridge and Pickup so the restoration is complete.

How much do you think will be its value after Im done with it?

8. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hah im gonna sell my crate bx100 and buy the 76 p bass, and then im gonna buy a whole new rig, ill ring when i get my whole new rig, thanks for feedback