1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1976 Hagstrom Swede w/Hammon Dark Stars NEW PHOTOS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by daveman, Mar 31, 2018.

1. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Price:
    $750
    Strings:
    hagstrom.jpg

A job change and move are forcing me to thin the herd - even the ones I swore I'd never part with. So up for sale is a much loved bass with a bit of history. This is a mid-70's Hagstrom Swede with Hammon Dark Stars. Fred Hammon did the pickup installation on this one - he did offer that service for awhile, and this bass has the distinction of being the last installation that he personally performed. (That's what Fred told me at the time.)

The Dark Stars sound like clear, ringing thunder and at Fred's suggestion I had a push-pull pot installed that takes them from series to parallel, which defeats the RWRP characteristics but brings even more loud, sweet boom. The bass is far from mint condition - it has a very old, totally stable headstock repair and significant buckle rash on the back. A previous owner also moved the strap pegs, as the pictures show. As with all vintage Swedes, the short scale neck is comfortably thick (not pencil-thin like a Guild neck.) The mahogany body weighs 10.4 pounds. Even with the wear, the cherry finish is striking and the ebony fretboard and block inlays are very sweet. I will include the original pots, which came out at the time of the rewiring and at least three of the four original knobs - there's one floating around our house somewhere and if I find it I'll include the whole set. At $750 shipped, this bass is an amazing deal. If you're looking for one hell of a short scale player with tone for days, this one is worth considering.

View attachment 3716610

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Jefenator, Bigoo7e, 31HZ and 11 others like this.
  2. gbass312

gbass312

Oct 5, 2019
    Have you sold this guy?

3. gbass312

gbass312

Oct 5, 2019
    I’m a big dark star fan. What else are you selling?

4. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    IMG_4405.jpg IMG_4406.jpg IMG_4407.jpg IMG_4413.jpg

5. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4418.jpg IMG_4415.jpg

6. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    IMG_4411.jpg IMG_4402.jpg IMG_4404.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  7. tsarter

tsarter Supporting Member

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Lovely. I love my M-85. This would come close to it I'm guessing.

8. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Yep! I had a couple of M-85s - an early 70's (solid body) and a "68 (chambered body). This is similar for sure, and in a lot of ways I like it better. I think the body/bridge combo delivers more sustain and a bit more edge than the rosewood saddles on the Guilds. And the ebony fretboard feels pretty nice. This one does weigh more due to the solid mahogany body, but in my opinion that's a small price to pay for the tone it puts out.

9. tsarter

tsarter Supporting Member

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I’d love to compare the two. If only money was not an issue.

My M85 is a ‘68. I get a lot of calls and gigs because of that bass.

daveman likes this.
  10. That's a beautiful bass.

daveman likes this.
  11. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Thanks for all the PM'd questions, everyone. Sharing some answers here: The bass weighs 10.3 pounds using my wife's Weightwatchers bathroom scale. The two 3-way switches on the top bouts are original: One is a pickup selector, the other is a tone selector though I couldn't tell you how it works. I usually leave it in the center position. I believe that the bass is original except the for the pickups, pots, knobs (original pots and three of the knobs are included) and some of the wiring - but I honestly don't know that for a fact. This is not a collector's item in any case, it's a cool, well-played vintage bass with great sounding pickups. The case is original and in totally functional shape, though it smells a little musty. One of the tone pots is push/pull and you pull up to cancel the reverse polarity feature that Fred built into these pickup sets.

I also received more than a few questions about the Hammon Engineering Dark Star pickups. It looks like Fred's web page is long gone, but these are basically very responsive and powerful single coil pickups - made in the mid-2000's. They are recreations of Hagstrom's BiSonic pickups that were used in mid-60's Guild Starfire, M-85 and JS basses, and were a reference and inspiration for the guys that started Alembic. That's the elevator version, I'm sure that others here can add a lot more detail about BiSonics and Dark Stars. Bottom line - cool pickups. A Google search will bring you a lot of information, and here's a pretty enlightening video from Juan Aldrete: . Of course, this mahogany Swede has a different body shape, scale length and tone wood than the (super cool!!) jazz basses that Juan's friend made, so I'm not implying the sound is exactly the same, but the information shared is fantastic and you'll get some sense of the Dark Stars' tone.

12. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    What an awesome bass!

13. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, it is! Kind of surprised it's still available.

14. Don Tony

Don Tony

Mar 30, 2008
    Doylestown Pa Via Brooklyn NY
    Endorsing Artist: Epiphone Guitars,Hughes Kettner amps and DiMarzio pickups

15. Don Tony

Don Tony

Mar 30, 2008
    Doylestown Pa Via Brooklyn NY
    Endorsing Artist: Epiphone Guitars,Hughes Kettner amps and DiMarzio pickups
    Are you selling the V bass

16. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    The V bass sold

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021