1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1977 Ibanez Challenger Lawsuit P bass MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DevinWard369, Jan 30, 2017.

1. DevinWard369

DevinWard369 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    Price:
    Strings:
    I recently purchased this and didn't think it would be this rough :( either the neck got a crack during shipping or the seller didn't disclose it.. I could probably have a local luthier look it over and it could be LEGIT.. but I'd rather cut my losses and sell it to someone who can give her the resurrection love she needs/deserves.

1977 Ibanez "lawsuit" Challenger P bass. The neck has a slight crack near the "E" strings tuner peg, it's not all the way through so possibly save-able..? the neck also had a slight bow, i took it apart and could see that a 49mm pick was once a shim, it was not there when opening her up, I then replaced it with another pick and that slightly solved the neck, it's not as bad.. I've never done truss rods so I didn't touch it at all.. (the side shot of the neck is BEFORE I replaced the pick) also the e tuners screw broke off when I tried removing it, it was a wrong screw to begin with and I never even got it out to try and find a new screw.. I have another tuning peg but it's not a direct replacement so I didn't install one, I'm waiting to find a direct replacement.. The body has its dings, it's easily an amazing platform for your dream "Vintage" "Relic" p bass and has all the right dings! Electronics work and seem to be original.
    It has all the holes for an ashtray style bridge cover, pickup covers and thumb rest, None included.
    The serial dates it at August 1977 made in Japan!

I've tried to take all the right pictures the last ones are of the bass after I have cleaned it up a little, and is missing the "E" string. let me know if you have any questions
    ** Im willing to separate the body and neck and sell them each loaded as is.
    Body loaded 225 shipped.
    Neck loaded 110 shipped(broken tuner included)
    Whole project 335 SHIPPED!

*If you've got a spare 1/2" maching tuner I'll buy it off you to complete the bass a little more! (just found a set in eBay, if im lucky I'll have them in a week and include them)
    Thanks talkbass brothers! No is just a word so offer away in a pm let's talk!
    I'm taking a loss on this one but it'll be a fine bass I know it.

IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2156.JPG IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG IMG_2160.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    PM'd