1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1977 ibanez silver series frettless p bass, a good buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattBradford, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MattBradford

MattBradford

Nov 22, 2012
    so there is a 1977 ibanez silver series fretless p bass on a local auction website, the seller wants around $US 600 for it and im really interested in buying it, just wanting a second opinion on it. cheers :bassist:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    That sounds steep. I believe some thing in the neighbourhood of around 375 to 425 might be closer to the current market value.

3. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Fretless basses are notoriously difficult to re-sell. You shouldn't need to pay very much money to get one.

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Mine predates the silver series so that would make it about a couple of years older maybe. I paid 400 for mine in excellent condition with bridge cover from guitar center used section online. Excellent basses, check mine in action:
    https://soundcloud.com/garmenteros/03-no-quarter?in=garmenteros/sets/led-zeppelin-r-d-tribute-2

Put on some tapewounds and you're in tone heaven.

fretlessp.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    i bought a '78 Ibanez Silver Series fretless P
    about 15 years ago. It cost me around $250 but it was in a bad state. All the bling removed, even the pickguard, some mayor dents in the body (maybe it was used in an axe-fight once or twice). It has a maple fingerboard and the pickup looks like it's not original - it's cream colored and all silver series pickups i've seen are either black or white.
    I never regretted buying that bass. The seller regrets having it sold to me and he even offered to buy it back.
    I'm absolutely in love with the sound of that thing.

6. I had an Ibanez 2366B P bass a few years back. That dated to around the late 70s. No idea how they compare to the Silver Series basses, but it was ok as a bass, no more no less, it was decent but not mind blowing. A bit heavy, and it lacked a bit of clout, but it was alright. It cost me around £400 used over here, but then basses are more expensive here than in the US.

Even so, the OPs bass sounds a bit pricey to me too.