1977 jazz bass - a good deal? Opinions appreciated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey, I've been offered this for £900. Bartolini passive pups, plus originals, all original 1977 jazz bass.

Quite a good price, I think, as I know these go for around £1,200 normally, plus I'm getting barts too. I think I may replace the barts with the originals, and perhaps the scratchplate with a tort one.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I appreciate comments made in a thread of mine re. 1977 jazzes a while ago, just thought I'd show you the bass in question. Anyone had good or bad experiences with a 1977. I know there are some dogs out there - I will hopefully have a play but it's very far away, and might be hard to do.

Anything appreciated, as always!

Many thanks

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i think you say it yourself there mate. £300 saving.
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have problems converting currency among my many other problems, how much is that in USD? and if you play it and like it then thats more important than paying a little more I think, and personally I like the BWB on the black finish thing.
  4. If you have that amount of cash already, go for it. It's a rare opportunity to get that kind of bass for such a price. And it looks cool too. I got my '78 for 1400 DM = cca 700$ few years ago and still can't beleive the price. You get originals and the case - no thinking needed IMO.

Altough I had to replace the pots (they were uneven, but a fellow bassist didn't do that on his, and it doesnt bother him...). Looking again, the finish seems very good for a 25+ year old bass. Too good?

I'm also curious what others will say...