1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1977 jazz bass - a good deal? Opinions appreciated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey, I've been offered this for £900. Bartolini passive pups, plus originals, all original 1977 jazz bass.

[​IMG]

Quite a good price, I think, as I know these go for around £1,200 normally, plus I'm getting barts too. I think I may replace the barts with the originals, and perhaps the scratchplate with a tort one.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I appreciate comments made in a thread of mine re. 1977 jazzes a while ago, just thought I'd show you the bass in question. Anyone had good or bad experiences with a 1977. I know there are some dogs out there - I will hopefully have a play but it's very far away, and might be hard to do.

Anything appreciated, as always!

Many thanks

Mike

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i think you say it yourself there mate. £300 saving.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have problems converting currency among my many other problems, how much is that in USD? and if you play it and like it then thats more important than paying a little more I think, and personally I like the BWB on the black finish thing.

4. If you have that amount of cash already, go for it. It's a rare opportunity to get that kind of bass for such a price. And it looks cool too. I got my '78 for 1400 DM = cca 700$ few years ago and still can't beleive the price. You get originals and the case - no thinking needed IMO.

Altough I had to replace the pots (they were uneven, but a fellow bassist didn't do that on his, and it doesnt bother him...). Looking again, the finish seems very good for a 25+ year old bass. Too good?

I'm also curious what others will say...

Jure